Backup over network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jeff Lam, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Santa Clara
    After having trouble with my Tivo tonight I was wondering if there was a way to backup system files and season passes, etc... over the network yet? Or do you still have to remove the drive and use winMFS? What do you guys do to keep your settings and season passes backed up and up to date?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No, you can't make a full backup of the drive over the network ... you still need to pull the drive.

Your Season Passes are backed up to TiVo's servers, if you're opted in to Guru Guides. If you replace a drive, they will be re-downloaded. There's also TiVos recent online Season Pass Manager, although that's more for copying them to a new box.

Personally, I keep all my SPs documented in Excel (see link in my sig), with links to TiVo Central online. This makes it relatively easy to re-schedule SPs on a new/different box when necessary.

Also, every few months I'll pull the drives from my TiVo's (except the Premiere) and use WinMFS to make a truncated backup, just in case ...

3. djl25

djl25 C64 hacker

May 26, 2005
    Providence, RI
    If you have a hacked unit, TivoWebPlus can back up season passes. I also have a cron job set to tar my hack partition and ftp it off-site. I don't think there's any way to back up if you're not hacked, although you can copy season passes to another box via the web site.