Backup my hard disk but not my programs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jeffw_00, Jul 11, 2020.

1. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000

Advertisements

Hi - I'm sure this is somewhere, but there are a lot of old threads out there that may not be current/valid.

So I've had my Roamio for several years. Runs great, I expect to get many more great years, but of course at some point the Hard Drive will fail. I'm ok with losing the programs, but would like to have everything else backed up somewhere so I could just take a new disk, restore the "everything else", pop it in, and let it start filling up again.

What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!
    /j

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can back up your channel list and season passes with kmttg. The OS and software are on the motherboard so you can't back them up like you could on earlier models, but you don't really need to. If the drive fails just drop in a new one and it will format the drive automatically (up to 3TB).

Xeroxing the drive with dd or a cloning dock is the only other thing I can think of.

3. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks - I'm sure kmttg can do it (it looks like it can do anything) but the documentation is not for the faint of heart, nor does what I'm looking for seem to be it's primary focus (i'm sure if I dig deep enough I'll find the option). I don't want to xerox or clone the drive. I really want to save just my settings & season passes off of the disk so I can restore in the future.

Is there a kmttg forum where i can get some coaching?

4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC

Advertisements

I too was intimidated by KMTTG. Now it's all I use, It's great. The hardest part was selecting an encode profile to produce small files that are still "good enough" video quality. The more I used KMTTG the more I found for it to do.

BUT if you want a "no-brainer" way to backup your hard drive, get a two-slot docking station, plug in the drives, and hit copy (just be sure the drives are in the right slots).

misterclick and kpeters59 like this.
  5. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks JoeKustra, but I think a 637-screen thread on using Kttmg illiustrates my point :) But I will post there - thanks!

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Views: 2,143,051

Can't be wrong!

-KP

misterclick likes this.
  7. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    To me it's pretty sad that here we are in 2020 and the Tivo still does not do this automatically.

I mean it connects to their servers on a regular basis. How much effort/space would it take to backup all the settings on the Tivo and save their customers a lot of grief in the event of a failure?

ke3ju likes this.