Backup files B4 Rollback

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by standay, May 5, 2020.

1. standay

standay New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I have a Roamio and a Mini Vox. In trying to get them working, I updated the Roamio to the hydr UI. I now want to roll that back as hydra is awful.

Tivo Desktop no longer "sees" the Roamio, but I have both pyTivo and kmttg and both are working. However, I really want to back up a few of the videos on the tivo. I need to know what the proper file format is in order to put the videos back on the Roamio after I roll it back. Do I use TS or PS? And I'd like them put back into folders if possible. So how to do the metadata in order to do that?

Any help appreciated.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If the recordings use H.264 video you have to use TS. If they're MPEG-2 you can use TS or PS.

The best way to keep all the metadata is to leave them as encrypted .TiVo files.

3. standay

standay New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Not sure what they are, but I have found that I can not convert them after transfer to the PC unless I use PS. TS will not (with pyTivo and kmttg) convert to mpeg. Is there any way to tell what they are?

Note that I do not (necessarily) want to convert them for PC use. I just want to store them on the PC until I've rolled the tivo back, and then to re-import them to the tivo unit once I roll it back.

4. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    You might want to also use kmttg to backup your onepass and channel list as you will lose those during the change to TE3.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. standay

standay New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    How do I do that? Is it in a menu somewhere? OK, I found it under the REMOTE tab!...OK, I have those saved now. Good idea, thanks.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Most cable companies have switched to H.264, but OTA recordings are usually still MPEG-2. If you download a recording with H.264 video in PS mode all you get is a tiny file with the audio only.

7. standay

standay New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    OK. Mine is OTA so sounds like if I use TS I should be OK. Thanks. I hate the new UI so much I'm willing to lose all the recordings if I have to, but if I can save a few that would be great.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should use PS as you do not have any h.264/MPEG4. TS is useful for h.264 but would have more errors.

If you were to decrypt the .TiVo files, PS downloads would produce MPEG2, and TS downloads would produce .TS files. They would play on your computer, or transfer back to the Tivo just fine. Same with .Tivo files. They would have the metadata so they will go to their folders.

9. standay

standay New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Appreciate the help. I was able to rollback both the Roamio and Mini Vox successfully, and using kmttg, I'm transferring a few tv shows and movies back onto the tivo and was able to restore both the channel list and one pass list too.

kpeters59 likes this.