1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup/archive TiVo recordings to Mac computer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by vbgregg, Jan 13, 2018.

1. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi,

What is the best way to backup (or archive) files from my Roamio OTA to my Mac desktop computer?

I found a thread about Archivo, which sounded like exactly what I was looking for, but I could not get it to run. The last post from the author was from more than a year ago, so perhaps that software is no longer supported (and no longer works?). When I double-clicked the app icon, it would just crash immediately. When I tried to run it in the Terminal app, I got the following message:

2018-01-13 13:51:42.286 Archivo[592:8598] JRE search exception: 'launch path not accessible'
    Segmentation fault: 11

Does anyone know what the problem is and/or how to fix it?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other software that works well? I saw pytivo and kmttg mentioned, but I could not find any instructions on how to compile the program and use it.

Thanks,

Gregg

2. Burt Spielman

Burt Spielman Member

May 9, 2001
    Madison,...
    Have a look at cTiVo. It requires you to enter your TiVo's media access key (obtainable in one of the TiVo menus), and your TiVo and Mac must be on the same LAN. It will permit you to download all but those programs that are copy-restricted (mainly HBO content and similar). I don't know what your intent is, but there is plenty of free software out there to convert the TiVo files.

3. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the suggestion. I record a lot of PBS shows, mostly music shows like Austin City Limits, and I just wanted to have a backup in case my Tivo drive dies. Thanks,

Gregg

4. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Here is another newbie question. I am copying shows from my Tivo (Roamio OTA) to my Mac computer for backup purposes, in case my Tivo hard drive dies. When the Tivo hard drive dies, and I replace it with a new drive, how do I copy the shows from my Mac back to the Tivo? I did not see an option for that in cTiVo. Did I miss it, or do I need to use some other software?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This TCFer was just able to get Archivo working, once they installed the required Java 8 runtime.

See: Archivo: a new app for archiving TiVo recordings

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    PyTivo or PyTivo Desktop, to transfer shows back to a TiVo -- though I'm not familiar w/ OS support, and PC-to-TiVo transfers are not currently supported for DVRs running Hydra.

Running a PLEX server, and the PLEX app on any TiVos, is an alternative to restoring content to TiVo storage, streaming the content as-needed between the PLEX server and client app, instead.