Backing up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by alek, May 26, 2011.

1. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    I backed up my second tivo hdd this evening just in case something strange happens on june 1. I can then either go back to how it is now or move to altepg.

When I had the lid off I applied 60 psi of compressed air, and was amazed at the toxic cloud it created. The inside came up a treat, nice and shiny like new.

This backing up thing is working a treat now since I got the low down on here. I was wondering is it possible to back up a windows hdd using mfs tools.?

Alek

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Er no - mfs tools were written specifically fro tivo disks.

What you're looking for is "image base backup" or "disk clone", one of which is Easus and its free for home use:

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

3. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Downloading it now.

I think a back up of my c drive would be a useful thing to have.

Alek

4. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    My favorite is "Ping Is Not Ghost".

http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Works with any file system you can throw at it (though, I have never tried using it on MFS! ;) :) ).

Matt :)

5. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    I was already setting up todo before I saw the post about ping.

I think todo will be all I need. It cloned my c drive in less than 40 mins, while I was working away as usual.

Cloned my 80 gb to a 40gb with no drama. I have booted to the 40gb and everything is there. right down to the web page I was browsing.

Isn't technology wonderful

Alek

6. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    It doesn't matter which one you use as long as it serves it's purpose :)

I liked Ping because it's free, open source (I think), and a tiny .iso which I can boot off my "tools" bootable USB stick, alongside my other bootable .iso tools. I also like it because you can backup pretty much anything, to, pretty much anything, in pretty much any format, so it integrates well with my home Linux-only environment.

I usually boot from the USB stick, and backup drives/partitions to a portable USB hard drive. Apparently, it will backup to network volumes as well. Very flexible!

Cheers,

Matt :)