Backing up/restoring to Network drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Andy in NYC, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Andy in NYC

Andy in NYC With an IQ above 10!

Apr 3, 2002
    I have an HR10-250 with 2 x 400 GB drives. The newest software patch/upgrade knocked out all of my hacks.

I recall that the backup program requires a local FAT drive, but I would like to back up the drives - including the programs - onto my network RAID array.

Is this possible/easily accomplished?

Andrew

2. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    It's possible... you can use any flavor of linux, then use the tivopart utility to enable the o/s to identify the tivo drive(s).
    I'm sure there must be some linux liveCDs out there that'd recognize your network drive

3. Andy in NYC

Andy in NYC With an IQ above 10!

Apr 3, 2002
    the bigger issue in my mind is that the backup program seems to require a FAT drive as the destination drive.

I also don't know what the tivopart utility does <g>.

4. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    no, it doesn't REQUIRE a FAT drive... that's just suggested because both linux and windows can read and write it.
    tivopart allows you to access a tivo-partitioned drive with a regular linux version, as I said.
    the tivo boot CDs use a modified linux that understands tivo drives natively.
    You don't actually need either for the backup/restore, or bootpage mods... it's changing anything in the root/var/kernel partitions that requires it.