Backing up a new DVRupgrade S1 drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by hdeditor, May 6, 2011.

1. hdeditor

hdeditor New Member+1 rank

Jan 7, 2004
    Denver
    After weeks of trying to backup a bad drive on a Series 1 Sony, I decided to get a 160GB drive from DVRupgrade, formatted and with the TiVoWebPlus Bundle (software only) which includes telnet, ftp, TiVoWebPlus and the GoToMyDVR client pre-installed. The DVRupgrade drive was purchased for a Series 1 Sony which has a CacheCard installed.

I already have a 160GB drive I was trying to use. It can be used again.

I'd like to backup the DVRupgrade drive to the 160GB drive I currently have and put the 160GB drive in the TiVo and save the DVRupgrade drive in storage for when I need to reimage a drive for the TiVo.

I have most of the various backup tools, such as WinMFS, MFSLive, and the MFStools LBA48 iso's. I wouldn't mind having a backup file(s) on a DOS formatted hard drive and backup file(s) on CD as well.

What's the best approach to do this?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm assuming that Sony is lifetimed.

If those are IDE drives don't let them near a GigaByte motherboard or you'll get an unasked for host protected area.

If both those 160GB drives have the same number of LBAs, get the proper manufacturer's diagnostic software for the drive you want to re-use and run all the tests.

After it passes, boot from the MFS Live cd v1.4,

and

dd_rescue -v /dev/hd"drive you bought from the Instant Cake people" /dev/hd"drive you already had on hand"

will clone it nicely.

You can also do a truncated backup to a DOS or Fat32 partition with that same cd.

Come to think of it, after that already on hand 160GB drive passes diagnostics, do the truncated backup of the IC drive first, then do a test restore to the other 160 and put it in the Sony to make sure you have a good truncated backup, then take it back out and run the dd_rescue string and that'll overwrite the backup test.

Remember, an untested truncated backup is not a backup, it's just a bunch of 1's and 0's that may or may not let you down when you need them most.

3. hdeditor

Jan 7, 2004
    Denver
    Doing a Google search for "host protected area" certainly opened my eyes. I had no clue how destructive this mobo could be for drives intended for non-Windows and/or RAID configurations.

Looks like I'll have to hunt down a non-GigaByte motherboard to do my backup on. Thanks for your help and response!

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can use a "sacrificial" IDE drive as Master on the Primary controller and it should just write to that one and leave the rest alone.

Later you can put that drive on a different brand board and use hdparm from the MFS Live cd v1.4 to remove the HPA.

5. hdeditor

Jan 7, 2004
    Denver
    I was thinking of using an old 20Gb drive on the Primary Master IDE connector. I pretty sure it has DOS 6.x on it. I would use the DOS drive to store my TiVo .bak files.

So, if I use the DOS drive on the Primary Master IDE connector, the DVD drive on the Secondary Master IDE connector (the dvd drive won't boot on a Slave connector, I've checked), and put my two TiVo drives on the Slave IDE connectors, adjust the scripts accordingly, I'll have no problems with HPA?