Background noise??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bbowen, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007

Advertisements

I'm waiting on my CableCard install but in the meantime I am watching through the Premiere in non-HD.

I have Time Warner. On any TV program I get a squealing noise in the background. This noise doesn't happen with Amazon On Demand stuff, Netflix, or Youtube. And it seems to come and go during some shows.

Is this some effect due to not having a CableCard or what?

2. murrayrm

murrayrm New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm having exactly the same problem in San Francisco using Astound. I saw in another thread that someone else called Tivo and they replaced his Tivo box.

3. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    I am having the same problem watching analog channels. I did not observed on all channels but very obvious when there are no talking or music. I can then hear the high pitch squealing. I am connected on the optical with the digital dolby setting, When I will have time I will try different configuration if squealing still present.

4. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Ugh, I'm having the same problem here (also using analog cable). I was hoping it was a flaky cable or bad connection (and would go away when I got around to replacing it), but now I'm concerned that there's some design issue that will take Tivo two years to get around to finding a workaround for. :(

5. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007

Advertisements

Ugh! I don't want to have to return the Tivo! My cable card install is due today btw 1pm-3pm.

I'm guessing returning the Tivo would result in a new visit from the Cable Co to install a new card in a new Tivo!

Are you guys hooked up with CableCards? I believe all my channels are digital. I noticed it real bad during Fringe on the local Fox affiliate.

I'm hoping the CableCard install will help!

6. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    If you look in the DVR Diagnostics screens--what kind of signal-to-noise ratio do you have? I'm wondering if the signal is coming in too hot causing some weirdness in the audio.

7. oregonmom88

oregonmom88 New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    I had the same issue with my Premiere before the cablecard was installed. I would get the squealing on some analog channels but not the digital ones. I have not experienced the problem since the cable card install.

8. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Exact same problem here and same issue during Fringe. Comedy Central is also a common culprit. Just had the cable card installed and still have the problem (just not on the digital channels).

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I am surprised so many people have a Premier and are still using analog channels at all (unless just waiting for a cable card, like the OP).

10. 03fomoco

03fomoco New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Added from the other thread as hard to tell which thread will live...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=447440

Add me in the +1 category, I tried everything in my bag of tricks before searching and found this thread (different TV, different cables, all settings manipulated, etc...) My Cox is analog from channel 2-99 and this is beyond annoying. Not all analog channels for me are digital and on top of that what might be on the analog channel does not match it's digital counterpart. Plus I loose the ability to record tons of hours of "kids" shows at low quality and not hog up disk space for the little ones. More to come I guess, it sounds like the audio signal is being way "over driven". I am somewhat fed up with consumer products in general these days. I would expect a quick fix or a huge loyalty bonus as I have been with Tivo since the Series "1" 40 hour days. 30 days the clock is ticking guess I will start the phone process tomorrow. Seems like more and more products are rushed to market and the user is the beta tester.

Dave

11. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Well, Cablecard is installed but no tuning adapter so I have to use the non-HD channels. Stargate Universe was just recorded and the sound is still there.

I'll check the signal to noise ratio.

12. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    On the Diagnostics page I have a OOB SNR of 3 dB

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    On my TiVoHD, I still have no tuning adapter and can get all the HD channels on Cox Hampton Roads. I think they are using SDV only for stupid channels that nobody cares about right now- things like golf, spanish, game show, etc, and mostly SD not HD.

14. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    OOB (out of band) is the signalling channel the cablecards use to communicate with the headend--what about the actual channel signals? Would probably be something like 30dB - 35dB. If it's much higher than that, it could be your problem.

15. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I don't see anything else on the Diagnostics page with a Signal to Noise ratio, alot of the items are blank.

16. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Hmm... have a look at the screen shots on this support doc--I'm wondering if you're maybe looking at a different screen. Have a look at the 'checking the signal quality' section.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/c/123,125/r_id/100041

17. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    OK, so I did that.

Looking at Tuner 0:

Channel 67 That's SyFy where I have the worst noise)

Frequency: 481250 KHz
    Modulation: Analog
    Connector Type: RF 2
    Signal Source: Cable
    CableCard Association: None
    Signal Strength: 0
    Signal Lock: Yes
    Program Lock: Yes
    Search Complete: Yes
    SNR: N/A
    RS Uncorrected: N/A
    RS Corrected: N/A
    RC State: Available
    Current Tuning Status: Tuned:Success
    Tune State: In Progress
    Last Used Channel Plan: STD
    CCI Byte: N/A
    Time Since Tune Start: 56 seconds
    Time Since Signal Lock: 55 Seconds
    PCR PID: -
    Audio PID: 0x22(Unknown)
    Video PID: 0x21(Unknown)
    Resolution Status: -
    Pending Status: No tune pending

Does that make any sense?

18. davidesq

davidesq New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Has anyone with this problem had their hardware replaced?

I have the same squealing background noise (also only on analog stations) reported here and in the other thread. It makes all analog stations virtually unwatchable (which, sadly, account for the majority of my channels) and am wondering if anyone has had success resolving the problem (short of those lucky enough to have all-digital cable).

I've tried the same things as others: different audio cables (analog and digital), different TVs, changing audio settings, endlessly rebooting, graphic equalizer and notch filters; this noise is un-killable.

19. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Sorry, I didn't realize that analog channels don't report most of the diagnostics. Do you have a digital channel you could try?

Another thought, what happens if you change the audio settings on the Tivo from 'Dolby Digital' to 'Dolby Digital to PCM'.

20. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Ok, NBC local affiliate is digital. The SNR there is 36 dB.

Switching the audio didn't make a difference.