Back-UPS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cconk01, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cconk01

cconk01 New Member

Aug 29, 2005

Advertisements

i was wondering if the tivo series 2 unit supported an APC Batery Back-up unit via usb. for instance, if i bought one and put the ub cable from the ups into the tivo would the tivo understand the ups is about to die and to turn off before it losses all its batery power?

2. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    I doubt it but search Tivo.com to be sure. The UPS units that I have will give you the option of saving data and closing programs before the battery power is depleted. It does require that you install their software on your computer. It is this reason that I say no.

3. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    No need to hook up the Battery Bach-up unit by USB. The TiVo software is designed to handle power loss well. And it does.

However, like any computer, the hardware (especially the drives) doesn't do well with fluctuating power (quick cycling of power). The Back-UPS will take care of that problem without the TiVO supporting the USB connection.

4. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yeah, that's what people say. But there are numerous reports on these boards of data corruption due to power loss.

One of mine was on a UPS, but I shut it down to move it to another room. It then got stuck on Powering Up.

Spinrite reported a corrupt boot sector, but eventually claimed to have recovered "most" of the data. Still wouldn't boot until I ran MakeTivoBootable.