Back-Up To Smaller Drive W/out Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jimlau, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jimlau

jimlau Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I want to back-up just the Tivo set-up files. I don't need to back-up any shows on there now. I have a 1TB drive in my Premiere now, but I only have smaller drives that can be used as a back-up.

Would using DVRBars' truncated back-up allow that? Would I need MFTools for any reason? The backup drives I have are not empty, though I don't need to save anything on there.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    DvrBARS requires at least as big a drive when restoring as the source drive.

3. jimlau

jimlau Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Are u sure? I have a Tivo.VHD file that is only 6GB uploaded to my PC. I can't just load that file onto a smaller new drive? What's the point of Truncated back-up if it requires all that HD space (1TB).

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I'm sure. The point is to be able to have a relatively small backup image, not to run a TiVo on only a few GB.

5. jimlau

jimlau Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Ok. I just thought I could install that VHD file and have the rest of the drive, say 480GB (-the 6GB for the Tivo operating file) to record new shows. I guess I will have to buy a 1TB drive if my current one fails. Thanks much.