Back Up DVR - should I keep connected?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kad7777, Jan 21, 2020.

1. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I have a back up (Roamio Plus) DVR in case my main one craps out.
    Should I keep it connected and plugged in?
    Or, maybe connect it every few months?
    What's best?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I leave my 3 old Premiere XL's plugged in and operating. And I have Bolt+ and Roamio Pro running too. Your case depends on how you use it....

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I plug in an old Premiere and a new-ish Roamio on Saturday and pull their plugs on Sunday. The Roamio is the backup. The Premiere is kept in case they offer an upgrade. But I wonder about the upgrade part a lot.

4. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a Roamio to back up my Bolt in case of failure. Both have cablecards and lifetime. I just turn on the Roamio once a month or so for a day to keep the updates coming and to keep the cablecard current with the provider. This plan seems to work OK. Why use electricity and wear out the hard drive needlessly?

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice.

6. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    Given the experience when they dropped Series 1, I'd plug it in somewhere between once-a-month and once-a-quarter. I'd watch it boot, manually do an update, and when that's done (could take an hour or more to load the data), unplug it again. Although I suspect just doing a "test call" (update the clock, check the account status) would be sufficient for Tivo to know the unit is still active.