Back to You: Pilot Episode: OAD 9-19-07 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Sep 20, 2007.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Traiditonal laugh track Sit-Com.

The twist on the 8, no 10, no 8, no 10 year old daughter seemed really unnecessary and boxes things in a bit and seems like it'll force more of a relationship between the co-anchors.

I liked the You Tube flame-out play back within the show. That was actually funny. Reminiscent of Kasey Kasem some years back :p

I'm watching 'til Death now and it is definitely going to be losing any status as a recording for me. Jumping from Back to You over to 'til Death makes one seem that much better and one seem that much worse :eek: :D

2. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Comparisons to Frasier are inevitable.

Unfortunately even tho' its early, there is no comparison.

3. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Yeah, comparisons to both Frasier and of course to Everybody Loves Raymond also.

I'm willing to give the show a little time to see how it progresses, but at the same time, it may not rank high on the lists of shows that I want to watch right away.

4. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got a distinct vibe that they were going for a cross between MTM (the set, obviously, the remote-reporter guy cranking out cut-downs on Montana was very similar to Murray/Ted) and Cheers (the sexual tension between the leads). Then they throw in the kid to make it 2-1/2 something, and it's just a mess.

The low-aimed humour and Grammer's past will likely keep this on the air, but it's not a show I would be seeking out.

Some of the jokes were good, some I was surprised to get past the censors (it's an 8 PM show which featured lines like (from memory) "I believe you banged Bert" and "This just in/That's what you said that night"); however, overall there wasn't enough to get over the simple point -- I didn't like any of the characters and don't look forward to spending any time with them.

5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I never watched a single episode of the stars previous shows, so I have no pre-conceived notions coming in.

But Patricia Heaton annoys me for some reason. Something about her mouth/teeth is just not right. Like a bad face-life or something.

The laugh track, while not as loud as most sitcoms, is still over the top. I have a tough time watching and hearing canned laughter in the background. Not everything they say is funny.

Fred Willard has always cracked me up, and he had the best lines in the show. He is the only reason I am going to give it a 2nd shot.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    My wife said they should have called this "Everybody Loves Fraiser." :)

7. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Willing to give it a few weeks. Frasier wasn't 100% comedy gold right away either.

Keep in mind that, as far as TV goes, this is the first time in 20 - 25 years that Kelsey Grammer isn't playing Frasier.

I really could do without the laugh track though. Completely unnecessary.

8. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    My husband and I actually enjoyed this show a lot!!! We can't wait for next week!!

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Considering I loathed Frasier and liked Everybody Loves Raymond, seems like mixed reviews to me.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Like most new sitcoms, all the best lines were in the endless commericals flooding the network the past week. Not a big Fred Willard fan, but I liked him in this.

It's no Fraiser, or ELR, but watchable.

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    +1

I never liked "Cheers". (Oh, hell, now I've done it, I admitted that!)

"Frasier" sucked at first, I thought, and then it grew on me.

This was an OK first episode. I'll leave my SP set for a few episodes.

12. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Ok, nothing great. As someone said, some of the potentially decent moments were beat to death in the promos.

I love me some Fred Willard though, he's reason enough for more episodes on the TiVo.

KD

13. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    It's her huge Dumbo ears!

Are "spoilers" possible for a sitcom? Come on.

14. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    I thought it was an enjoyable half hour with some good laughs. We'll have to see whether it goes up or down from here.

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...

Jokes were told by various cast members. The audience laughed at them.
    This is not always the case with sitcoms.

My Sitcom Rules:

1. There is (at least) one character who knows what is going on and knows what to do.
    2. There is (at least) one character who doesn't know what is going on but knows what to do.
    3. There is (at least) one character who knows what is going on but doesn't know what to do.
    4. There is (at least) one character who doesn't know what is going on and doesn't know what to do.

16. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    My wife and I thought it was okay. I'm hoping it improves. We need a good comedy to add to our watching rotation. It's too full of Cops, Doctors, etc right now.

17. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I thought parts of it were funny; I'll keep my SP for now.

But, I was pretty disappointed that Kelsey Grammer's character is, well, Frasier. I enjoyed Frasier a lot, but for a new show I was hoping to see something a little different instead of just more of the same. I don't know if the issue is that the actor simply isn't capable of playing any other roles, or it's just a total lack of imagination on the part of the network/writers, but it fell a little flat for me for that reason.

18. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I liked Everybody Loves Raymond and I sort of liked Frasier. They were both funny. This show was not funny at all, and I won't be watching again.

19. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I loved it. I have always liked Steven Levitan's shows (I was really bummed to see "Stacked" fail), and this was no exception. I liked the characters and the actors. Will not miss this show. :)

20. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Friends ran at 8:00, and they got away with far worse than that (for example, I seem to recall an episode where Monica and Rachel had a fight over the last condom in the apartment). I think "Family Hour" now runs from 7 to 8 (originally it was 7 to 9), which means it only really applies on Sundays.

-- Don