1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back-To-Back Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ensign Eddie, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm thinking of adding a Roamio for OTA recording to supplement my DIRECTV system DVRs. One of the things that DIRECTV got right is that its DVR will only take up one tuner to record two padded shows back-to-back on the same channel.

Does the Roamio use one tuner or two to do this? My Tivo HD uses two. Since the base Roamio only has four OTA, this is probably a dealbreaker for what I want to do (which is basically move my OTA recording off the DIRECTV box and perhaps eventually cut the cable).

Thanks.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Right now it uses two, but we expect a future enhancement as it did this previously but was pulled due to some issues on how it handled some scenarios.

3. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it may be possible.

4. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Was this update ever made to the software? I'm thinking of getting one of the lifetime Roamio OTAs, but not if this capability is still not available.

Thanks.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No it does not. But I have found that the only time I need padding for OTA is for shows playing after live events like Sunday night foot ball. If you are not an OTA TiVo user now you could post where you live (general TV market) and perhaps other people could tell you if padding is need in your area for OTA broadcasts or not.

6. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's really too bad. The DIRECTV DVRs have been able to do this for years.

As for padding, I pad everything with at least 2 minutes on either side as a matter of course. I just don't trust the broadcasters nowadays.

It really seems ludicrous in 2016 to still use two tuners to record the same thing (the period while shows overlap). But I guess it is what it is. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, this is a PITA for many of us. I have both a DirecTV Genie, and several TiVos. And this is one area where DirecTV has TiVo beat.

It's not a big deal with a six-tuner Roamio, but I still have to be careful what I pad, especially when the new season kicks off.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yes, it WAS made, temporarily, but it was written in a really stupid way.

I don't know EXACTLY how they implemented it, but it SEEMED like they would just copy the 'padding' minute(s) to the other recording on the same tuner.

BUT, they still stopped the recording and restarted it, so you would ALWAYS get a glitch at the cutover point.. e.g. 1 minute in to a recording if you had a 1 minute post pad on the previous show.

Since this was completely unacceptable, they relatively quickly (within a year?) reverted that change, and unfortunately have not re-added it.

EVEN with 6 tuners on my Roamio Pro, I would STILL like this, since it would make me have to put fewer OPs on my P4.. (yes, I theoretically have 10 tuners available.. but because of this padding issue, really that's "only" 5 shows at a time.. and I easily hit that in the late night talk shows..)

9. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It's been another two years and I suppose this change still hasn't happened. I did buy the Roamio OTA two years ago and the last time I tried it (a month or so ago), it was still clipping programs due to the padding overlapping. So sad.

Does the Bolt also use two tuners for padded shows on the same channel? I must admit I have been looking at them a little bit.

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It always uses two tuners for overlapping programs, unless there aren't enough tuners. Then it either clips or cancels/conflicts, depending on your clip setting.

I have a Roamio, and can assure you it doesn't clip, and does use two tuners. Caveats above.

11. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You're right, except when you're wrong.. There is a clipping preference, and I ABSOLUTELY have that turned off... But I also see recordings, or at least the *extra padding* clipped off once in a while.. never reproducibly.. but the times I've remembered seeing it lately (last few years), it's been late night talk shows, where the recording ends a tiny bit before the end of the time bar. All of them need a minute or two of end padding to get the entire show.

I think it's a bug in this case that happens once in a while.

(Also, unrelated, but another situation that "nowadays" as in many years doesn't work when I'm 99.99% sure it used to work on some previous version -- if you view other showings and choose another instance of the SAME episode in the same time slot.. e.g. switching to an SD version or vice versa -- it does NOT realize it will have 'another' tuner available because of the one you're now recording instead.. and gives you a conflict dialog.. Since I add padding to _most_ shows until I prove I don't need it, I run into this even with 6 tuners.)

12. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned clipping since that really wasn't the point of my question. I just wanted to know if the Bolt had the capability to record two consecutive padded shows using only one tuner. Based on my testing, sadly, it appears that the answer for the Roamio is still "no".

BTW the Roamio will clip if you a) have it set up to clip, b) all four tuners (on the OTA) are recording, and c) you set it to record a show following one of those already recording (even if it's on the same channel). I know because I ran this experiment a few weeks ago with the Roamio. :)

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Overlapping recordings on one channel with one tuner worked for a few months at one point, but people complained about a minor (maybe 1 second) video glitch in the second recording at the overlap point and TiVo removed that capability with the next update. Darn shame if you ask me.

14. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    that sucks. Lots of times (especially on Saturdays) having the overlap on same tuner woudl be great for college football

As noted in the original post that is one thing I miss from Directv. I could make it show like I had 10 things recording (5 current + 5 overlaps)....sports of course ;)

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Damn shame? You would get GARBLED VIDEO when the overlap happened. So e.g. you add a one minute padding, you ALWAYS have garbled video one minute INTO your show.

I honestly don't understand how they even THOUGHT that would be acceptable to release. What they did would have been an acceptable *HACK* to _INTERNALLY and maybe BETA__ test feasibility of the entire process, and presumably test how the UI works, and probably other things I'm not thinking about at the moment....

but how releasing a feature that BY DEFINITION garbled your recordings was thought to be proper is mystifying.

Then again, unfortunately most companies don't seem to actually put as much thought into working and usability as one or two others. [Edit: Tivo actually ORIGINALLY was one of those companies. The S1 Tivo really only had one or two minor bugs in the interface.]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It was more than that, although that was a *big* issue. It also had logistics glitches. Recordings where the overlaps got confused with the recording times (kept going), and a couple other programming bugs, that I don't remember any more.

This is one area DirecTV shines.

tim1724 likes this.