Babylon 5 streaming for free

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hairyblue, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018 #1 of 18
    hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL

Advertisements

Babylon 5 finally available for online streaming

I've watched the first episode on here and it still holds up very well. I used my Chromecast to cast it to my TV.

No commercials and the story of politics and aliens mixed with action and great character development are still great.

javabird, oregonalex, aaronwt and 4 others like this.
  2. Feb 4, 2018 #2 of 18
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    That was first reported about a year ago.

3. Feb 4, 2018 #3 of 18
    Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Thanks for posting this. Star Trek Original Series will ALWAYS be my most favorite show but Babylon 5 comes in as a VERY CLOSE second favorite. I'm not a sports person so with the Super Bowl today I'll definitely give a few episodes a try and I also have a Chromecast for my TV.

Gerry

4. Feb 5, 2018 #4 of 18
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah the article is from april 2017. I certainly didn't remember it.

There's nothing in this show that would have been cut out for rights reasons, is there? (No contemporary music ("past" for them) or anything?)

I have far too much to watch anyway, I'm just curious.

5. Feb 6, 2018 #5 of 18
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Just the usual warning about how hard the first season is to watch since it's a true slog, but it's so important as you get to seasons 3 and especially 4 where all those seeds planted in S01 start blossoming.

6. Feb 6, 2018 #6 of 18
    Gerryex

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I watched two episodes from the first season: S1E1 - Midnight on the Firing Line and S1E8 - And the Sky Full of Stars. I was using a Chromecast device and the picture was quite good and just a little soft. They cropped the image as it appeared as a full 16:9 screen and I'm sure they were prodouced in the old 4:3 aspect ratio. While of course the special effects were dated I was amazed at how well they did look. Especially for being made some 20 odd years ago.

I really enjoyed both episodes and I see there were about 20 or so episodes per season. No modern shows (except for the early seasons of 24!) have that many episodes per season. I would love to watch ALL the episodes but it just way too much. So I'm going to try to watch the episodes that move the main story lines. The first episode starts the Narn / Centauri conflict. The Sky Full of Stars is our first glimpse of the Grey Council and the importance of Commander Sinclair.

Gerry

7. Feb 6, 2018 #7 of 18
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Thanks for the warning. Just like I TRY not to watch movies cropped, I most likely would choose one of the other zillion things to watch..

(One of the few things I put up with some cropping for is some of the SD recordings I make.. Some of them just chop off the sides of the 16:9, which is obviously bad, but in some of these cases for shows I'm listening to more than watching, I grit my teeth and put up with.. Though I ran into one other case recently of a show putting the show squeezed horizontally into the 4:3.. So I used the 3rd aspect choice I don't think I ever purposely chose before -- I use Panel 99.999% of the time. If Zoom didn't cut off part of the picture, I'd use it more for letterboxed-in-4:3 stuff..)

8. Feb 7, 2018 #8 of 18
    Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    For those that are interested, all five seasons of Fringe are also available on the Go90 service.

hairyblue likes this.
  9. Feb 7, 2018 #9 of 18
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    They did that for the DVD releases also. To be fair JMS planned for an eventual 16:9 release and tried to frame all the shots to work in both aspect ratios. (Some work better than others).

Unfortunately the original plan was to re render all the space combat/travel CGI for 16:9 from the original models and staging - but over time those were lost or became unusable as they switched technology and SFX companies - so the space scenes are also cropped from 4:3 (so less shown) rather than rendered wider (more shown). Due to all that I'd have preferred that they abandon his ambicious plans to be dual aspect ratio and release the stuff in 4:3 as originally aired.

dcheesi likes this.
  10. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I doubt that JMS had/has any input on that, since Warner's owns the B5 TV product. IIRC, he has the movie rights, WB has the TV show.

But I agree. It might have been better to not go with the dual aspect ratio. Sidebars don't bother me.

11. Gerryex

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I watched a few more episodes last night and while I'm really enjoying them I'm finding that the volume is very low. I have to turn up the TV's volume almost all the way just to get halfway decent volume. I'm using one of the original Chromecast units and frankly I never used it very much before. So I have no idea if it was always low volume or just these shows. EDIT: I just realized I should Chromecast a YouTube video and see what it's volume is.

Anyway, just wondering if other have noticed very low volume on these shows?

Gerry

12. aintnosin

aintnosin [Spoiler]

Jun 25, 2003
    Lake Forest, CA
  13. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I started watching it on Vudu recently, and haven't had a problem with the volume. The acting? Yes. But the story is still good to keep me going.

14. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just checked it out on Go90 and it looks like it's about the same quality as the DVD releases from years ago. It's not High Def or even close. The show was never released on Blu-Ray AFAIK and I believe the original footage and/or CGI is all lost or destroyed. It's a shame that this is the best quality we'll ever get with this show. It's one of my all-time favorite sci-fi shows. I agree that the acting wasn't all that great, but the story was well thought out from start to finish.

I have a lifetime subscription to PlayOn which lets me record shows from Netflix and other subscription services, but unfortunately it doesn't include Go90 in the list of channels it supports. The good news is that I already have the entire series on my server.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  15. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Being the new papa of 10 TB NAS and Plex Media Server; B5 was one of the first five shows in it's entirety I transferred from DVD to MKV. And I haven't watched the series in over ten years.

First thing I watched was that three episode arc in Season 3 when B5 breaks away from the Earth Alliance. That still holds up well today.

Slog is an understatement. It's almost anti-binge watchable. I'm barely at Ep 05.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Wasn't sure where else to put this...

September 26th: Babylon 5 Virtual Experience 4pm ET

17. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    $60 for a 2-minute chat, wow. I met Walter Koenig at a Star Trek convention in the early 90s with Nichelle Nichols. This was back before they would sell the autographs, so we just stood in line for a couple hours and got to meet them. It was my Star Trek VI laserdisc, but sadly I sold it long ago.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Watching GalaxyCon Live chat now. Seems like Claudia and Bruce were quite a riot during the show.