b&w playback??

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dubluv, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    i am a bit confounded by this, and apologize if its already been discussed. some programming recorded by our humax drt400 is playing back in b&w! the tivo status bar at the bottom of the screen that pops up when ff or pause is pushed is in its proper green color. the tv is fine, as it does display color properly on the older recordings or live tv. anyone got any ideas what's happening? i have not made any changes to anything on this box.

2. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Sounds like you forgot to pay your color bill.

3. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Is it still happening or was it isolated to a specific time period of recordings? You can rule out the Tivo to TV video connection because the green status bar is added at the TiVo and transmitted to the TV with the video. It could be a bad composite cable or s-video cable if those are used, or it's a problem with the tuner itself. Maybe some type of loose connection or bad cable on your cable in line or cablebox to Tivo connection.

4. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    i am using component cables, and if the cables were defective or the connection wasn't good, it would be that way all the time, i'm guessing. there are various recordings, from different days and channels that this has happened to. odd. i should also post in the help forum.

5. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Actually if there is just a slight short or open in the cable or connector, atmospheric conditions and humidity could change the way it behaves from time to time. As the conductor warms it will expand slightly. Conversely it will shrink slightly as it cools. This could cause intermediate problems. Try using a different cable, different input (tv side) and a different output (TiVo side). Try them one at a time. That way it will be easier to tell where your problem is.

I suggest when the problem occurs again that you switch cables (if you have a spare). If that doesn't help, then switch your TiVo output. Then move to the TV input if the problem is still there. Most likely switching you TiVo out and TV in will the same step.

6. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    What was the recorded program? The first couple of seasons of "Gilligan's Island" were indeed in black and white......

7. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

nope. they were recent shows, just missing the color, like the comp cable was screwed up. i'm going to try some different cabling, just to be sure. also, this humax has been so screwy since i got it, nothing surprises me. now, for instance, it hangs up a few times a week. its got an upgraded hard drive, so who knows. gotta love the new tivo HD. :rolleyes: