"B Positive" - Series Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Nov 6, 2020 #1 of 29
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

B Positive, a new sitcom on CBS. Airing as part of the Thursday night lineup (Young Sheldon, Mom, etc), created by Marco Pennette, who is part of the Chuck Lorre production family.

Usual rules, don't post spoilers before the episode airs. Individual threads are always welcome, but this gives us a place to discuss it as the season progresses.

This is the only new sitcom from CBS this fall season.

2. Nov 6, 2020 #2 of 29
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I liked it. As with all sitcoms, it will take a couple eps for the writers & actors to gell (jell?), but both the leads are strong performers, and the chemistry seems to be there.

Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) is Drew, a divorced father and therapist in need of a kidney transplant (and a social life). Annaleigh Ashford is Gina, a former acquaintance of Drew who volunteers to donate her kidney to him.

Also has Kether Donohue as Leanne, a party girl who also juggles multiple jobs. So the same character she played on You're The Worst.

3. Nov 6, 2020 #3 of 29
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Loved it. I thought it was a strong pilot. It's going to be one of those things to cover dark subject matter with what looks to be, on the service, a lighthearted sitcom. I didn't watch "Mom" but I think that one was also dark, but didn't do dark humor.

And I like the leads. I liked Middleditch in Silicon Valley. I like him here, too, so I guess his work is something I'm into. Annaleigh Ashford looks like she'll be great for the role. She was in one skit in a John Mulaney Netflix special, which she was great in and the only thing I've seen her in so far.

4. Nov 6, 2020 #4 of 29
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I enjoyed it, I'm gonna stick with it. But I'm gonna bring up laugh tracks again. Unless this was filmed before the pandemic, then the laughter was a laugh track. I've never understood it, I know when to laugh. I've got a sense of humor, I laugh at Tony Danza.

I'm curious how long they stretch out the time before she actually donates to him. And then once she does, where does the show go from there?

5. Nov 6, 2020 #5 of 29
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Agree on the laugh track, it was noticeable, which a LT shouldn't be.

I thought about the timeline also, and what they do once the donation happens. But I figure they're smarter than me, and have a ten year plan in place. I try not to overthink Chuck Lorre sitcoms.

6. Nov 6, 2020 #6 of 29
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Silly premise that someone he hasn’t seen since HS is donating a kidney (instead of family), but I can get past that.
    Hope they use more of Kether Donohue in future episodes. Liked her in “You’re the Worst”

7. Nov 6, 2020 #7 of 29
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I lol'd a lot more than I thought I would.
    Usually shows like this 90% of the laughs are in the preview.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

8. Nov 6, 2020 #8 of 29
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Eww, a Republican kidney? :D

9. Nov 6, 2020 #9 of 29
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I was surprised to see Doc (Bernie Kopell) on the bus.

Donbadabon likes this.
  10. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Linda Lavin from Alice. She is listed as being a cast member too.

I thought I spotted her on the bus, on the left hand side near the back.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I missed both of them. Need to go back and take a closer look.

VERY mild spoiler on how quickly they intend to get to the actual transplant...
    Producers said they will spend most of this season setting up the transplant. Creating relationships, introducing characters, yada yada will take up most of S1. Also, Gina will move in with Drew within the first few episodes. The transplant will either come at the end of this season, or the start of S2.

Donbadabon likes this.
  12. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I saw that she was part of the cast, but I didn't notice her in the 1st episode.

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I was just coming to post this.

I never look at cast lists, but I'm pretty sure Linda Lavin was not in this episode.

14. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    A review says Lavin joins in episode 2. Also coming on is Briga Heelan ("Great News", "Ground Floor", "Hey, Briga Heelan is an appealing actress").

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh yay! I love Linda Lavin and had been hoping, of late, to see her in another sitcom. Her last two, both of which I watched and liked (one where she played Sean Hayes' mother and the one where the parents and son lived in the same apt complex) were short-lived.

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Who else thinks we’ll see “the nurse” soon ;)

Donbadabon likes this.
  17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ha! Maybe with Abishola.

18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I like Briga Heelan. I thought Ground Floor was an under-rated sitcom. And while I generally love Linda Lavin, her last sitcom 9JKL, was just terrible. Terrible.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I liked it but I probably have to admit that a part of that was because I thought the tall son was so damn cute!

20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Wait, is this the confessional? Ok, I liked 2 Broke Girls anyway, but Beth Behrs sure helped.

sharkster likes this.