Aww, Tivo - why'd you go and blow your perfect opportunity????

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ntarvin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ntarvin

ntarvin New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I got my Premiere a couple of months ago when Tivo and AntennasDirect had their promotion for "cord cutters"...

A Tivo Premier and an excellent Clearstream antenna for just $99 plus monthly service of $9.99 - OTA only. They said they were going to run the promotion through 11-11-11.

Yesterday I went to the Tivo site, and it's gone! In it's place is a brand new OTA promotion. For *only* $169 you can get Premiere, and a (lesser) antenna. Service is back to $19.95 monthly.

They had a perfect opportunity to virtually OWN the cord cutters and they blew it. The key was the monthly service price of $9.99.

$9.99 a month is in the acceptable range of HuluPlus, NetFlix and Amazon. My total expenses are still below $30 a month. If I had to pay $20, it loses it's value. That bumps my cost up to the range of Dish, DirecTV, etc. I might as well go back to pay tv...

Geez, guys, didn't anyone ever tell you that 3 nickels are better than 1 dime????

-----------
    Yes, I posted 'way back in January about the problems I had with that Tivo... in trying it this time, it was much, much better! Having a better antenna worked wonders, and software updates since Jan made a lot of difference. Back then, my Netflix worked very well (now, well, not so much...) It's a trade-off - I just don't watch Netflix on Tivo, but I do use it for all my OTA watching and recording, and I use Streambaby for my movies and vids on my computer. I'm also experimenting with the Logitech Revue, and so far it does well with Tivo.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The $9.99/mo service for OTA only promotion was never promoted on TiVo's web site as far as I know. The only place I saw it was on http://www.solidsignal.com/ and it is still there. So I would expect that the promo code still works.

3. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Best buy still has the promotion to buy the antenna and get the premiere free. I think this also gets you the $9.99 per month as well.

4. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep others are right. Still seems to be going on for at least a month. box is 99 and :
    To qualify for the $9.99 a month TiVo Service you just need to purchase a TiVo Premiere, and sign up for a 1-year TiVo Service 11-15-11, using the activation code: Antenna

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you get DirecTV for $20/month?

6. eatswodo

eatswodo Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Chanhassen,...
    ..which is exactly what I did yesterday. In doing so, I found my way back here. I was an early TiVo adopter back in 2000 - somehow or other I managed to remember my password, after not being here for 5 years or so...

7. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Has anyone been able to get the $9.99 deal from Solid Signal then get the $99 lifetime deal on their old Series 3 afterwards? I have 2 Series 3 that are on monthly and I'd like to get them on lifetime but I dunno if TiVo will go for it.

8. ntarvin

ntarvin New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    All of you - Thanks for the info about Solid Signal! Tivo should pay attention to what they are doing!

Astrohip - It's not that $20 is in the range of DirecTV, it's that if you have Netflix ($8), HuluPlus ($8), and a $20 a month Tivo bill, you're at $36 - and the sat dish co's now have promotions that start at $29 a month...

My goal is to keep my costs below cable/satellite. I'm dropping HuluPlus (I've had it over a year and never used it - and probably won't need it now that I have OTA network shows on the Tivo), I have Netflix (streaming only) and I have the "p" program (whose name must not be spoken aloud), so my total costs will be about $19 a month.

To keep things interesting (and to play with), I have a Revue - which works beautifully with Tivo (and at $99 who can resist it? LOL!), and a Roku...

9. mpogge

mpogge New Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I have contact the evil Comcast and threatened to move to DirectTV. They have cut my cable package for the next two years to $35.00 a month and I kept their Digital Starter package which contains way more then I really need but give me a great range of channels. If you push them Comcast will respond.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    not when I had them. They wouldn't budge on anything. So of course after I left I got flooded with mailings asking me to come back at these super low rates. I am still getting several mailings from them every week. They go right in the trash.