Away (Netflix) Season 1 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 #1 of 24
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I paused after episode 2 for a bit because I was tiring of the formulaic political/personal conflicts. I'm almost through episode 4 now, and I swear this show would probably do a little better on Lifetime, or Nickelodeon. I'm getting the idea we're going through a continuously serial set of problems, character by character, all designed to be racially, politically and personally relevant one by one, to someone somewhere, so nobody feels left out.

No sane organization would send these sorts of people into space on a mission that'll last 3 years. None.

Still watching, more really because there's just so little no stuff to be watching right now, and it's not horrible so much as just disappointing from having had higher hopes based on the summary.

2. Sep 6, 2020 #2 of 24
    Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
    I am just finding at the 'Space" stuff so unrealistic.

When doing space walk, they need use a 3 person relay instead of talking to control themselves. On same walk only having 10ft tethers? What was rush? They saw problem go back in, figure how to fix and go back out.
    Using Cell phones to call earth?
    Launch from Moon, would there be fire from engines?

Just to much stuff that would never happen. Whit that said I am on Ep 6.

kaszeta likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2020 #3 of 24
    mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think it’s decent. Decent enough to finish all the episodes. Watched 4 last night. I can get past any inaccuracies. It’s a fake tv show, not a documentary.

4. Sep 6, 2020 #4 of 24
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    So if Away is set in 2070 why was Rachel maddow on MSNBC?

first episode decent if not fairly predictable drama.

5. Sep 6, 2020 #5 of 24
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Garlands in space? Yeah, that's good for low-G/no-G environments.

"Half way into the flight to Mars" and having a real time video conference where they're warning about how they might have one-hour delays in text messages by the time they reach Mars?

"Misfits in Space" would probably be a better title.

6. Sep 6, 2020 #6 of 24
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Hoped for a more technical space travel theme, got a Lifetime drama. Not my cup of tea at all.

As Doug notes, the conflicts arise one by one in predictable fashion, and resolved neatly into it's package.

One question, I presume instantaneous phone based communication is not feasible no matter what the tech/year, right? I got to ep 3, I think they noted 3 weeks out. Maybe they're still in range for no delay? A silly detail I kept getting stuck on. Then there was the drunken motions on 1/6 gravity moon base.

Not sure I will continue, but not many choices lately. Will give The Boys, Season 2 a try.

7. Sep 6, 2020 #7 of 24
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I saw this show advertised in a promo email I got from Netflix. I was about to check it out when I saw this thread. I think I'll pass unless it starts getting better press.

8. Sep 7, 2020 #8 of 24
    Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Finished.... to stupid for my tastes. Don't think would watch a 2nd season.

You measure your drilling spot with a tape measure THEN check it with a laser measure?
    You don't put a stopper on the drill so you don't dill threw the outer shell?
    You don't have a patch kit with you, just in case?
    All the crew is there, so if there is a blowout everyone dies?
    When collecting the "ice water" why not collect the ice right out of the spigot so you don't lose most of it to space then give full bag to 2nd person?

So many more.... it was just to frustrating to watch.

This is the smartest crew they can send to Mars? LOL

9. Sep 7, 2020 #9 of 24
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Anything is better than the group from Another Life...

Rainy Dave likes this.
  10. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I think it was a bit more Hallmark channel rather than Lifetime. :>)

Daughter sneaks out with the proverbial bad boy and he takes her to Midnight Mass! Zowie.

I did like the entry to Mars scene though, No idea how realistic it is but it was indeed exciting.

11. Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    I’ve cruised through 8 episodes of and I’m enjoying it so far. I thought Hillary Swank would get on my nerves but I like her for the most part in this role. The other actors are enjoyable as well. Kwesi’s backstory has been my favorite.

It reminds me a bit of “The Martian” too. I should have it finished tomorrow.

Yes, a Hallmark is the right type of description.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    jasrub likes this.
  12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    When they were on the moon with no two and a half second delay, I knew they were going to take liberties. When they got half way to Mars and still no delay I knew they didn't have a science advisor. (I checked on IMDB, and there isn't one listed.) Based on the rate of absurdities per episode, I'm pretty sure the writer's fact checker was an art history major.

And forgetting scientific accuracy, we've all lived though Apollo 13, or at least you young people have seen the movie. The way these people acted and reacted was completely unbelievable.

The only good news is that "For All Mankind" is coming back on Apple+.

Note to Random User 7: comparing "The Martian" to this travesty is unforgivable. You are dead to me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Random User 7 and kaszeta like this.
  13. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Renewed for season 2!

Random User 7 likes this.
  14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ghreat Ghu I hope you're kidding.

15. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Well, I may have jumped the gun-could have sworn I read it was renewed-but now I can't find a link. But everything I see online seems to point toward a renewal!

16. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I enjoyed the show. Struggled with the first 3 or so episodes but I got into the characters and general story and don't worry too much about the details. Enjoyed the ending.

It's not officially renewed yet and if it is I am not sure when it would be made.

wendlan, Random User 7 and jasrub like this.
  17. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I agree. I don't get bogged down in the science - it's not a documentary. I was entertained and that's my barometer. Yes, the ending was good and can stand on its own if there's not another season.

18. Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    Whew, good thing I didn’t make a comparison.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've been watching this the last couple days. I stopped today in the middle of (I think) E4. It is mildly entertaining, but the dumbness just keeps coming. Left, right, left right, uppercut... you can't get away from it. I don't require perfection in any aspect (science or other), but just so much wrong.

First, the crew is a joke. They hate each other. You would think they would pick a highly compatible crew for a three year journey. And they would never EVER send up a rookie. Ever. The only one who knows about the secret harness clips on the solar array is... her husband, watching from the hospital room. And those sure were some short tethers, maybe next time get the extra-long size. Or crazy thought here, have the space walkers equipped with those jet packs, which every space walker uses to get around. [Aside: Amazing how poorly made those essential arrays were, with a cable so easily out of groove.]

And don't get me started on the craziness of communication. How they use private cell phones to call & text family, even during critical parts of the mission. Or the lack of time delay.

And the non-stop drama. There is no way NASA sends up such poorly vetted individuals. They would know everything, down to their poop schedule. Yet it seems like every episode, new family drama lands. Great for story-telling, bad for Mars missions. And they know nothing about each other. Emma didn't know Lu was distanced from her husband, or Misha's wife was dead. And Ram is a mystery to all of them. Was there NO pre-three-year-mission bonding?

None of these are deal killers. By themselves. But it just never ends. Every episode has one or two scenes/events that make me slap my damn head. I may revisit it at some time, or not. But after 3.5 episodes, I'm less than impressed. Don't expect perfection, just expect decent entertainment.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    ej42137 likes this.
  20. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I watched it all, but am disappointed like the rest of you. I really WANTED this to be good, but . . . it just wasn't. The cast was strong, I thought, but was really held back by the poor writing and lack of realistic science.

As well as the problems others have mentioned, overall I just felt like the actual drama was lacking. It was obvious from the beginning that this is not the kind of show where they are going to kill off any main characters or crash the ship in the second episode. Just too wholesome family Hallmark-y, with no narrative risktaking at all. So all the "oh noes! They are all about to die, we really mean it this time!" plotlines didn't work for me at all because they were such obvious empty threats. It's also telling how much the space drama part isn't working when they needed to throw in 2 different love triangles in the last 2 episodes. There should be more than enough drama inherent in the narrative, what with it being the first manned mission to Mars and all, without the need for cheap tricks like that.