.avi files not showing up on 2.5?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jkalnin, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I put a .avi file in the "My TiVo Recordings" folder. Everything else in there shows on the Tivo, except for the .avi file. This is a simple xvid file that is supposed to be supported in Tivo Desktop 2.5. Any idea why it isn't showing up?

Thank god Videora still works

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    If everything else is *.tivo files, then perhaps you didn't get Plus. Plus is needed for things other than TiVo and TiVo compatible MPEG-2 files.

CuriousMark

3. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    No doubt I didn't get Plus. THat is a crock of you know what though. When I open Tivo desktop and click on the media button, there is a video tab. It says that it supports divx and xvid files, with no mention of needing Plus to use that feature.

What a scam.

4. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Yup, that is a bug. The TiVo website is slightly better, but not much. You only see the list there after drilling down through a link in an area of the page dedicated to the Plus feature. A footnote is needed. You aren't the first to complain about it, so I am fairly confident TiVo knows about it, but you could always suggest it at research.tivo.com/suggestions or in the suggestion avenue forum here.

I don't believe it is scam, just a casualty of their rush to get a vista capable TiVo Desktop out. There were a lot more people complaining about that than this. My guess is they decided to pump out what they had, warts and all, just to give the Vista users a working program. I could be wrong, but that is my humble opinion.

By the way, the plus key pays for the MPEG-LA license for the codecs it unlocks. TiVo most likely doesn't make any money off of it. By using a Plus key, they can offer the program for free to people who don't want or need to do conversions.

CuriousMark

5. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    I have the same problem.... i've upgraded to PLUS today, set the key, but not seing any avi files... I see all mpg files but not one avi...

Plz help!!!

6. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    If the file is DivX or Xvid encoded you should see it. If it is another video format that just happens to be in an AVI container, then you shouldn't see it.

7. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    yep, all avi files i have are either dvix or xvid encoded, but i still don't see them. at this time the only way the file shows up is if its an mpeg.