Autoplaying Reddit videos

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by stevel, Mar 17, 2020.

1. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Post https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...coronavirus-humor.576285/page-5#post-11994270 has an embedded Reddit video that autoplays WITH SOUND every time I open that page of the thread (Chrome/Edge on Windows). Other video embeds don't seem to do this. Is there perhaps an option to disable autoplay when URLs are turned into embeds? I did find a Chrome extension that blocks the autoplay, but I shouldn't have to.

2. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Thanks, I was thinking of posting the same thing!

What extension are you using. The one I used I stopped, due to some issues. The damn browsers should support this natively.

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    It seems to be browser specific. It doesn't play at all for me in Firefox until I tap it and only plays silent for me in Chrome.

4. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I wonder how your Chrome settings are different from ours.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Interesting, my firefox results are different. Reddit videos (and only reddit videos) autoplay here, no matter if they're visible on the screen (let alone tapped).

And there's a couple of others threads where "last unread" takes me to the bottom of the thread, but somewhere 30 posts up (never seen when the thread is loading), there's a dancing dinosaur at the airport set to music, which always plays in the background if I open that thread, scroll up, and stop it.

6. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida