Automatic commercial skip with ifttt

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jstaso, Feb 25, 2018.

1. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    I had Replay back in the day and I remember they got sued out of existence when they added an auto commercial skip. Will this happen to TiVo now? I'm worried.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    That is why they are doing it through IFTTT. By placing an action that the user has to do to skip takes TiVo out of the loop. Thye already have the programming in place with SkipMode but by requiring the user to push a button or now set up an IFTTT applet it clears them

3. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Can someone explain to me what this IFTTT applet is?

Thanks

4. longrider

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    IFTTT is If this, then that which is a service where if something happens on a smart device (a trigger) then a command is sent to a smart device either the same device or different. It is discussed here at Big Game Sunday & IFTTT tests and if you use facebook this is the official TiVo page for IFTTT: Log into Facebook | Facebook

5. stuart628

stuart628 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    IS there a way to do IFTTT to do auto HD tune? just curious since we have to press abutton there as well, it would be great to do that!

6. longrider

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    What would the trigger be? I have not tried setting up any of my own applets but as long as the button you need to press is configured in IFTTT then it should be possible

7. stuart628

stuart628 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I am not savvy on IFTTT yet, but when you tune a sd channel on tivo it pops up and says press d to watch HD...it would be nice to have it autopress D when a SD channel is tuned, again not knowing IFTTT yet, I dont know whats possible or not possible

8. longrider

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    TiVo would have to write the trigger but the action would be no issue. If you have an Amazon Echo or Google Home you could possibly set up a voice command Trigger: Alexa, trigger H D Action: Press D button on remote

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Or you could stop using the numbers and disable the SD channels. If the guide is just your Favorites, it should be easier to handle. Out of 240 channels on my service I only have 20 Favorites. Perhaps 40 checked in case I want to watch C-SPAN.

bradleys likes this.
  10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    on channels with no hd channel what would happen?

11. stuart628

stuart628 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    what happens now when you press D on a sd channel?

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Sounds like it's possible, but you'll need to send a message to David Shoop on FaceBook or here as a conversation.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If a channel has no HD equivalent there is no message and the "D" does nothing. If there is a message to hit "D" it changes to the HD channel.

stuart628 likes this.
  14. stuart628

stuart628 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    So it could be possible and with ifttt leverage, LOOK I get it we could hide SD channels, or do other workarounds...or heck press the D button when it pops up...but then why have IFTTT? why not take advantage of it, also not everyone is tech savvy or uses guides or what not, this would just help them out a bit and also expand on ifttt and its tivo integration which only strengthens tivos IMO!

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some might say that having channel numbers, which are an old analog geographic specific thing, are a workaround. It's why TiVo added network logos a while back. Yes, there are some things ingrained into our culture, but we can adapt. I have no problems with voice commands or screen readers. I just don't need them (yet). Now, I have to dial a number to get a pizza. :D

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    James Jarvis just posted this request to the TiVo.IFTTT.innovate page, here, a few hours ago.

You may also want to review the suggested new IFTTT features voting in this post to the Facebook group, and add or vote-up your desired feature request.

edit: p.s. Eh, I added the request to the list being voted on. Look for "Action: AutoTune HD alternate channel (auto-send 'D' button when "Press (D) to watch in HD" trigger is activated)"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... Just posted to the TiVo.IFTTT.innovate page (link):

David Shoop: James, valid request and something we can look into. In actuality the mechanism isn’t much different than what we are doing for Ad Segment Detected. When HD channel available displayed on screen then press D button. The only draw back might be the ~5 second latency for that auto HD channel tune. I might also need to explore recordings that happen on those SD channels.

kpeters59 likes this.
  18. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I guess that means “Press D to watch in HD” is communicated back to the TiVo service. I thought maybe it was built into our channel lineup and this wouldn’t be possible.

For recordings, it’ll just switch a different tuner to the HD channel.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  19. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Still waiting for this to show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not here at the moment and I am using the latest best hydra interface...

Jack

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't think the original "Press (D) to watch in HD" feature applied to recordings, just Live TV; the OnePass recording behavior should be controlled by the My Channels list, and the OnePass' settings for "Channel" and "Get in HD."