1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auth field missing on cable card info screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by mscroggin, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mar 4, 2018 #1 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I have a Tivo Bolt that I bought used. It worked fine for the previous owner. When I hook it up (after having Comcast pair the cablecard) I get a v52 error, 0 signal strength, and no picture or sound on any channels. A Comcast technician came out yesterday, checked the signal strength on the end of the coax that plugs into the Tivo, and it was very good. I talked to Tivo and was told that the cable card (by the way I tried 4 different ones) has to be a 2014 or newer, and has to have an auth field on the screen with the con, etc. I checked a Tivo Roamio Plus I have hooked up and it has the auth field. The cable card info for the one in the bolt does not have an auth field and I'm pretty sure the cards that Comcast gave me are ancient. Is the missing auth field the reason I get the 52 error and no picture or sound?

2. Mar 4, 2018 #2 of 36
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it's a Motorola M-Card, the part number (in really small print) on the card should have middle digits of -014- or higher. I have a card with -002- that does not get seen by a Roamio. I have a -018- card that is seen. Another test for your box "seeing" the card is the Channels screen will not allow a channel scan even if the card is not paired. The option is gone from my 20.7.4.RC18 Roamio.

A paired and provisioned card needs to have Val: Y 0x0n in the Conditional Access display. The 'n' will be a number over zero.

An SA or Cisco card will be different.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. Mar 4, 2018 #3 of 36
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Here in Houston Comcast uses Cisco/SA cards and they automatically update the firmware, but your mileage may vary. They have a great crew at 877-405-2298 that can solve all your CableCARD issues.

kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  4. Mar 4, 2018 #4 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    It is a Motorola Card and the Part # is 514517-002-00. Are you telling me that the card is from 2002?

5. Mar 4, 2018 #5 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Yesterday I had a Comcast office out west somewhere which was very knowledgeable and helpful. Today when I called I got the Tennessee office and they had no idea what to do.

6. Mar 4, 2018 #6 of 36
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, but my Premiere won't even see that card. I bought a few from eBay over the years.

My card from two years ago is -018-

If you feel adventurous, there is something you can try. Power off the Roamio+. Remove the cable card. Install it in the Bolt. It should work but may not show premium channels since it won't be paired 100%. Power off before moving anything. I know the cards are able to be hot-swapped, but I never move a spinning hard drive.

I'm going to guess that the Roamio+ also has a Moto M-Card. If it has a Cisco card you have a really big problem. The card's serial number for Motorola starts with MA. Serial number is shown on the Pairing screen.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  7. Mar 4, 2018 #7 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I actually tried that and the Bolt still didn't work. Then I had Comcast pair the card to the Bolt and it still didn't work. Now I've been talking to Comcast (Tennessee again) and she agrees to send me a new cable card which is PROBABLY a new one, and I get cut off and she never calls me back. The out-west Comcast guy from yesterday was supposed to call me back today at 1 and now it's 2:29 and no call. At this point I'm giving up, returning the Bolt, and hoping my Roamio runs forever!

kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  8. Mar 4, 2018 #8 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Well, I'm really not giving up, I love a good challenge. Comcast is sending me a new cable card (hopefully an actually new (recent) one. I'll post the results after I install it. If it doesn't work then I am trully done.

9. Mar 4, 2018 #9 of 36
    mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Are you saying you bought cablecars or Premieres on Ebay?

10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Comcast really doesn't want you to own your own CableCard.

If you wanted to try to get yours setup however, to me the plan would be to have several of Comcast's cards and then also yours. Then, call Comcast on the phone and feign ignorance ( that means pretend to those of you in Rio Linda...). Tell them you have several cards. Insert your card and give them the details. Respond to any questions with "I don't know why it's not registered on your system" or similar. Hopefully that'll get it set up. Return their cards. Profit.

Has anybody tried something like this?

-KP

11. mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I'm going to try that. I just ordered a card on Ebay for $6. What a ripoff the $10 a month Comcast charges me for each card is. The middle set of numbers on the new card are 018, that's what JoeKustra said above that worked in his. Does anyone have the time to look on the conditional access screen to see if you have the "auth" field.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After my card is paired I find "Auth: S" on the last line. Before pairing I only have four lines of data on that screen.

I wonder what will happen if you give them the wrong serial number but the correct numbers for everything else? But if you are pairing a cable card, doesn't that mean Comcast knows you are using a cable card and will bill you? BTW, my feed charges $3 for each card. Their DVR (6 tuner) is $20 and Mini equivalent is $5. We are switching to a TiVo box soon ->Hydra coming to local cable company

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Buying your own card will not work with Comcast since they will only pair cards in their system. The only thing it might do for you is show if another non-paired card shows that field at all.

Scott

14. mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Comcast says my card is paired but I only have the four lines of data on the conditional screen. So it would seem that the Bolt thinks the card is not paired. Is there any way to tell if that is the fault of the card or the Bolt? I don't think there is. When I receive my purchased card I'll tell Comcast I received two cards rom Comcast Tech Support, not just the one they said they would send (and already entered in the system). I'll give the real info from the one I purchased and see what happens. Comcast doesn't charge for the first card or device a customer has so it's ok if they know how many cards I have, I'll wind up with only one card after I see if any of them work and return the rest of them. A friend of mine has a Comcast X1 box and it really is quite nice. It would sure save a lot of hassles if I switched everything to Comcast and quit using Tivo. That would be hard to do though since I've been using Tivo's since 1999.

15. mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I'm hoping they pair my bought card if I tell them that they sent it to me and forgot to enter it into the system. I don't know how smart their inventory is and if it keeps track of all the card's serial numbers.

16. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    All devices that Comcast provides to you are recorded and tracked.

If a customer opts to use their own device, for example a cable modem, it's indicated in the system with an *.

-KP

17. mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I don't think Comcast allows customer owned cablecards do they?

18. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    See above?

-KP

19. mscroggin

mscroggin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I just called Comcast again to tell them about not seeing the auth field. They ran through their troubleshooting procedure and said they had to send out a technician and I would have to pay for the service call. By this time I was talking to a supervisor. She told me there wasn't a specific department that handled cablecars, but I know there is because I talked to them this weekend. I asked if they show the cablecard paired or not paired and they said they couldn't tell me that. WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS.

20. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    call to disconnect, they will have the resources to correct this issue.