Ausiello: John From Cincinnati cancelled

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  2. hyimted

hyimted sugartastic t. love

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    i couldn't get into it ... made it through three eps before i called it quits. my wife stuck with it but still can't explain what it's about.

3. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Bring Back Deadwood!!!

Bring Back Deadwood!!!

Bring Back Deadwood!!!

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    [SARCASM]Gosh, now this is a big surprise.[/SARCASM] :rolleyes:

5. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

Advertisements

Never seen JfC ... but is this the first HBO series that has been cancelled mid-season? Or at least the first one in a while?

6. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    So I can delete all my saved up ones? Yay!

Frank

7. billyd88

billyd88 New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Tampa, Fl.
    I will totally miss the show. Liked the characters and thought Ed O'Neil was superb.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm surprised the good citizens of Cincinatti didn't form a write-in campaign to change the name to John From Cleveland.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It wasn't canceled mid-season. It was canceled after season 1 was finished. Well, maybe not even that... it was rumored to be canceled after season 1 was finished. :)

10. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    +1 :up: My wife and I hung in there and eventually really got into the show and will miss it a lot...we don't know why...but we will. Ed O'Neil was indeed outstanding as were the rest of the uncommon characters.

It wasn't for everyone certainly and wasn't as dark and unusual as David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" but it had the same edgy feel and IMHO could have really developed into something long term. I'll give HBO credit for going out on a limb with this one...wish they'd do it more often. (At least Flight of the Conchords and Big Love will be back. :) )

Unfortunately the current viewing trend of demanding instant gratification and kindergarten level plot lines doesn't allow for shows like this to develop any more which is sad. Most Emmy award winners of the past (M*A*S*H for instance) would be canceled mid-season in today's reality-based schlock TV show market.

We'll miss John from wherever he was from. Why? I don't know Butchie instead. :(

11. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I feel bad I never gave this show as much as a single viewing, considering how much I liked Deadwood, but I let the reviews from all different areas impact me enough for me to believe I would not like it. I should have probably given it at least an episode or two.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Burn in hell HBO!!!

:D

(maybe this will make the Fox haters feel better)

13. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I really liked this show and knew it would be tough to stick around, but figured HBO would keep it for at least 2.

HBO - people are already subscribing, just do 2 seasons at least!

14. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    It took us about four episodes to decide to keep watching...just to find out what would happen next if nothing else. I wouldn't have called it a great show, but it was a refreshing break from the pablum that passes for prime time these days. I can see how people might have freaked out about it...liked it or hated it.

I just wish there were more room for creativity in television. Heck, in music too. Soulless corporations have to answer to their shareholders so they play it safe. If isn't an instant hit...buh bye. That kind of mindset pretty much sucks for everyone involved. All you end up with is homogenized chewing gum for the eyes and ears.

Like them or hate them, at least programs like "John" and "Deadwood" stand out among the rest of the vast wasteland of programming. Hopefully HBO and others will have the kahonies to keep trying. :up:

15. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    i couldn't get into it ... made it through three minutes before i called it quits.

16. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    I really enjoyed the show and have at least 5 more waiting on the Tivo ... this may be my last straw - I am dropping HBO. I almost did it after cancellation of Carnivale - but gave it another chance - obviously a mistake.

17. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Two words-

Big Love.

18. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Two (other) words...

You're right! :)