Audio/Video Mismatch

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jim Abbett, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jim Abbett

Jim Abbett New Member

Nov 6, 2005

Advertisements

On my HR10-250 I often get a mismatch between the audio and video signals. It's worse on some DTV channels than others and seems to come and go.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    This was a problem awhile ago, but it hasn't been reported for some time. What channels do you see this?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It would also help to know what equipment you have and how everything is connected together.

4. Jim Abbett

Jim Abbett New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    It's an HR10-250 connected via the HDMI/DVI cable supplied with the unit to a Hitachi 51F710A.

No other audio equipment is connected.

It seems to be most noticable on the channels in the DTV HD package. Sometimes it's not there and sometimes it's almost unbearable.

I don't notice it on any of the other TV's in the house which are just R10's or R15's (I think?) and smaller TV sets.

Thanks in advance for any input or solutions that you guys may know about.

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

I haven't seen it much lately.
    It used to be a constant headache giver on HBO-HD and SHO-HD,
    but D* seems to have gotten a handle on the problem.

I dropped the HD package a while ago, so don't know if they took the time and $$ to address it there.

phox

6. chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    If the audio is leading the video, you can use a felston digital audio delay device. I got mine on ebay about 2 years ago. I seem to recall they are something like $250 new (or were back then). I have not had to use mine in many months. Like other users said, the lip-sync issue seems to be better controlled these days.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If you are in the market for a new AVR, the JVC "digital" AVRs have an option for up to 100 ms of delay (among a lot of other nifty features). I've had to dial that in on occasion, and it works great. Look at the D401 or D402, both of which have 105wrms X 7 channels in 2 RU, for under $300 (street). Performance is on the order of a $1200 amp circa 2000.

Audio usually leads video in digital lipsync problems, because MPEG decoding is elastic and when stressed (buffer fills too fast due to hard-to-encode video), video playout slows down ever so slightly (while the accompanying AES audio marches along unimpeded). If there is no reclock somewhere in the system, it can be cumulative and stay that way for some time. Having a way to delay the audio locally puts things back in sync. It's a workaround, but an effective one.