Audio Sync on Multiple Connected TV's

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ADG, Dec 13, 2019.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Sorry, couldn't come up with a better title so let me explain the setup. I have my primary TiVo connected to the primary TV via HDMI. I have a second tv in another room connected to the same TiVo with a component cable (run through the basement). And I have multiple sets receiving the signal from the same TiVo using RCA out to a modulator and cables running through the basement (of course these end up being SD signals, but that's fine). I've been using this setup without any issues since my first Series 3 and then through various upgrade models including my current Roameo Pro (last version with multiple outputs :( ), as well as a couple of different primary tv's (all Sony) over the years.

Just replaced the main tv with a newer model Sony (49X900F) and now there are syncing problems. The audio on the tv's in ALL of the other rooms is a beat ahead of the primary tv. It appears there must be a slight delay via the hdmi connection to the primary set. Since the rooms are not far apart, there is of course a noticeable echo. I've tried everything I can think of including:

• Connecting a soundbar to the main tv
    • Switching between PCM & Dolby on the TiVo
    • All available audio options that might affect this on the main tv
    • Rebooted the TiVo
    I recognize this is pretty much a one-off problem which few, if any, of you might experience - but I wonder if has any thoughts about how I might be able to fix this issue or what might be causing it in the first place. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. SATXTom

SATXTom New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    San...
  3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks, but that could not be the issue here.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why are you using these multiple outputs from the same Tivo? Did you know you are limited to the same output for all the TVs connected? You are also using lower quality audio/video for the other outputs other than HDMI.

Did you know you can transfer shows between the Roamio (on v20.7.4+) and S3? I hope they are on lifetime (any other service plans are a ripoff.)
    Did you know you can get a Mini for each extra TV (lifetime already included.) The Roamio can handle Minis, but the S3 can't. Each TV can have a different video showing (Live TV or recording.)

5. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Of course I know all that and I have two minis. I use this setup so we can move from room to room (including kitchen and baths where there are no tivos) while playing a recording and not miss anything. Regardless, WHY I use this setup is not the question, why all of a sudden there is an audio syncing issue after 15 years IS the question.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Your X900F is up-scaling from the TiVo and I'd say is 'most likely' the reason for your issues. Adding sound bar that didn't help I'd say confirms that!

If you're looking to just 'listen' I'd say if you do HDMI from TiVo through an inexpensive AVR that does multi-room would be a correction. I'd think you could certainly create a much more desirable environment.. I did multi-room years ago and it was certainly expensive. Today many entry level AVR accomplishes much.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  7. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks. My last set was a Sony 4K (43x800E) and that also upscaled but there was no syncing issue. Is there a setting on the set you think might correct the problem? The primary tv & tivo are in the bedroom and I'm not going to use an av system there. Thanks again.

8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'd think you could use 'optical' to the X900F and possibly be able to disable the HDMI audio in some fashion. I ain't a Sony guy so I've no idea of the feature set.

How about an inexpensive 'sound bar that will do 'optical'? I'd think it an inexpensive 'buy/try'.

9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually my soundbar does have an optical secondary input and I tried that before I posted - no change. The audio appears to be reaching the remote units (both component AND rca to coax) a split second faster than the "direct" output.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately it sounds like your new Sony has a video/audio processing delay that your last model (and other TV's) did not have and I'm guessing there may not be a way to work around it (if you find one post back here!).

Scott

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I've tried pretty much everything I could think of with no success. And yes I agree - some sort of processing delay.