Audio Probs on optical out

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dhall2276, Jan 24, 2006.

1. dhall2276

dhall2276 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Mississippi

Advertisements

Just hooked my HD DVR up to my Denon reciever via optical audio. I have sound fine for everything except the tivo sound effects while watching a recorded show. The sound effects are fine in live tv and in the tivo central screens but nothing while watching recorded shows. I have sound when hooked directly to my tv for audio just not thru the denon. Any ideas??

2. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    This is normal -- DTivo receivers don't output the "sound effects" via the optical audio connection, or at least that's what my manual says. :)

3. dhall2276

dhall2276 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    But I am getting soundeffects when watching live tv and on the tivo menus just not while recorded shows are playing. I will go back and check out my manual again. Thanks

4. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Yeah. This IS normal. The HDVR2 does this also.

5. Arbys_Night

Arbys_Night Random Person

Oct 11, 2003
    Studio City, CA

Advertisements

The Tivo will not output sound effects over shows that are in Dolby Digital. That is, if you enable Dobly Digital output from the Tivo, then every program you watch that is encoded in Dolby Digital will not have the sound effects, live or recorded.

Just because you have a digital connection, doesn't mean the encoding is Dobly Digital... for most shows (non HD), the digital connection is carrying PCM sound... just like the two plug analog stuff but Pulse Code Modulated for digital transmission.

6. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    This is the correct motorcycle.