Audio problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by phenom5, Jan 5, 2009.

1. phenom5

phenom5 New Member

Jun 3, 2006

Advertisements

Hey,

I've got some audio problems, and it only happens on Fox HD. The audio crackles, and pops. No real problems with the video, just the audio. It's a S3 tivo with an Mcard. Comcast is the cable provider. Comcast has been less then helpful. I've had a tech come out, and all he really seemed to be interested in was selling me a Comcast DVR. I've tried boosting the signal with an amp from Home Depot, no change. Tried attenuators after reading through the pixelation stickie, that made the problem worse.

I'm sure you all need more info, let me know what will help diagnose this problem, and I'll get that info.

I'm pretty frustrated, we watch quite a few shows on Fox, and the BCS games are on Fox.

Thanks

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    How are you getting the audio out? If using optical, does it get better with analog (or vice versa)? Did you check the diagnostics page when FoxHD is tuned? You can also check the signal strength on that channel from settings/channels/signal strength

3. phenom5

phenom5 New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Audio is out to Onkyo receiver using RCA cables. I suppose I could try an optical cable, but it seems to me that if it were the cables, it would be a consistent problem, not just on FoxHD.

I never knew about the channel signal strength. Just did that & it was at 100, but Fox isn't showing HD programming right now. I've always looked at that through account & system info>DVR diagnostics. FWIW, right now says...

Signal Strength is 100
    SNR = 36dB
    RS Uncorrected = 0
    RS Corrected = 2

But again, I'm not sure how much that means because Fox is showing non-HD programming right now. I'll check it out later tonight in primetime to see what kind of numbers I get.

Also, not sure if this is helpful, but last night while we were watching the Fiesta Bowl something happened (on Fox's end) and it switched from 1080 to 720. When it did, the audio problems went away, then when it switched back to 1080, the audio problem came back.

It just seems like a problem on Comcast's end, so maybe I'll try to get another tech out here. I'll also try an optical cable to see if that helps.

Thanks.

4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Signal strength that's too high can be a problem, overdriving the tuners. Do you see that high a strength on other channels? There have been threads on this topic, where people have added attenuation, either an adjustable attenuator or simply another splitter, to decrease the strength. IIRC, the target was a S/N of ~31.

My question about the audio was not because I suspected bad cables, but to see if a preamp issue might exist. A stretch, perhaps, but when diagnosing a problem, it never hurts to consider all the possibilities.

5. phenom5

phenom5 New Member

Jun 3, 2006

Advertisements

It's seems pretty consistent.

FoxHD is channel 213. At first, it seemed like the signal strength dropped as I moved away from that channel, but not really.

Signal strength is steady at 100 on FoxHD, as I move away it drops some, but still peaks out at 100. Up to ESPNHD (channel 252) the signal strength may occasionally drop to 98/ 99, but still peaks out at 100, and stays at 100 for the most part. SNR is 35dB, Uncorrected & Corrected errors are at 0.

Okay, so I just added in the attenuators that I had. Signal strength is down to 50 on Fox (makes sense) and SNR is down to 30. ESPN is at 49 for signal strength and 29 for SNR. I'll try and dig out the rest of them to see if I can come up with a better combination...

6. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Run it there for a while and see if it makes a difference to your issue.

7. phenom5

phenom5 New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm trying a little lower combination of attenuators, 13dB instead of 16dB. SNR is 32dB, signal strength is in the mid 60's. I'm going to see if this helps, I'm wondering if I gave up too quickly on the attenuators the first time around. Everything is great at the moment, but Fox is showing the Simpsons, which is in 720, so I'll be interested to see what happens when primetime hits.

Thanks for all your help.

8. phenom5

phenom5 New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    No luck with 13dB attenuators. I didn't have a chance to try any other combos of attenuators, but I'll play around with those to see if I can find the sweet spot. I'm not holding out a lot of hope though.

Looks like the next step after that is to try and get Comcast out again. Of course, the problem with that is Comcast comes out during the day, when Fox is showing non-HD programming.

Kinda frustrating.

9. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It does sound like a transmission issue. I was watching NCIS tonight, and there were several segments of the show that had bad audio as you described in the original post. This was the first time I heard it, but my daughter told me it happened "a lot". Not sure what that means.

My S3 is connected by optical to the receiver and HDMI to the TV. Got the bad audio on both.

If you record HD from Fox, does the audio issue stay with the recording? Maybe you can play a segment for the tech, and explain that this occurs on the HD programming in the evening.