Audio problems with Dolby/Optical setup

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by orion, Jan 1, 2006.

1. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    I've searched around but haven't seen any posts with the same problem. Any help appreciated.

Setup:
    -HR10-250 (installed 12/31), optical cable, McIntosh MX-132 receiver
    -Local channels through SAT, not OTA
    -Signal strength at 90s for 101 and 85 for 110

Problem:
    1) Audio cuts out/blips out for 1-2 seconds and returns.
    -only noticed on Dolby 5.1 setting
    -Happens only on all the HD series of channels (HBO, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, ESPN), though not necessarily HD broadcast (could be SD on HD channels)
    -Happens more frequently on ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS (10 times per hr?)
    -Happens on both live and recorded
    -On a live or recorded broadcast, does not blip out on the same spot, i.e., rewind and play and the audio is there

2) Crackling noise
    -Only on HD channels
    -ProLogic setting
    This doesn't happen as frequently so I haven't had time to do as much troubleshooting

One other variable is that I had a Samsung SIR-TS360 (non-tivo) prior to this and it would also have audio cutouts (I never spent time troubleshooting it since it was hardly used). I have 3 other SD Tivos in other rooms and all are perfect. Similary the SD broadcast channels on the HR10-250 are also perfect.

In both cases, video is perfect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I would first look at the McIntosh receiver. It may have a bad optical input or the optical cable is faulty.

BTW, what are your signal strengths for 119 sat?

3. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    101 - 93
    119 - 83
    110 - 87

I don't think it's the optical cable or the port on the receiver. I'd swapped both the cable and the ports and tested with my DVD player.

4. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    *bump*

I guess I'm going to have to call the dtv techs out for some troubleshooting.

5. gohawks63

gohawks63 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Did you try a new cable?

6. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Yes, I did. I swapped the optical cable with my DVD player. also switched the ports going into the receiver as well.