1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Out/Surround TiVo vs Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by nickels, Oct 4, 2018.

1. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I have pretty much used my TV Optical Audio Out connected to my Sony receiver for my sound. I thought it sounded fine, until I connected my receiver directly to my TiVo. WOW what a difference! I now hear things behind me and all around, true surround sound, and the bass also sounds deeper and feels stronger. I am confused why my TV output is so much worse than the TiVo using the optical audio cord? My TiVo is a rather old Samsung DLP HLT-6187S from Samsung. My main issue now is when I turn off the TV the receiver continues to play the audio from the TiVo. It is a pain to turn off both the TV and receiver now, but the sound quality is so much better I don't care. Anyone know why this is the case with the sound quality difference between the TV output and the TiVo Roamio audio output?

Edit: I think I answered my own question with some Google - my TV doesn't output 5.0 surround so the only fix is to go from the TiVo to the receiver. I have been missing out on true surround for many years now and feel like a dope.

HerronScott likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please don't feel bad. Many people prefer PCM or DD 2.0 Stereo. Just be happy you have found a new dimension to your viewing experience.

If you notice, no more sound effects when there is video present. A wonderful side effect.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you remember what code you used to program the Tivo remote for the Sound system? You can use the same code and Hold Tivo + Power procedure, then when you turn off the TV, the sound system also turns off.

nickels likes this.