Audio on FX Channel GONE! TWC NYC

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Cainebj, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Has anyone else lost audio on the FX Channel in the last couple of days?

I'm on a Series 3 with Time Warner Cable in NYC.

I recorded Damages last night and there's no audio and have now noticed there is no audio on any of their programming.

I changed my audio settings from dolby digital to DD to PCM but same thing...

This is happening on both cable cards and not on any other stations. Anyone?

EDIT AND SOLUTION!!!

Thanks to slimoli on the OTHER audio thread...

"Tune to one of those "no audio channels" and press info on the S3 remote. Check the audio symbol and see if it shows any 'alternate audio'. If it does, click on it and see if the audio comes back.

The S3 will always select the Ac3 track if it is present but sometimes the cable co changes the audio on some channels to MPEG but keeps the AC3 track with no audio."

In this case - there are alternate audio streams and and while changing to dolby didn't work - when I selected the second MPEG option the audio came back immediately.

2. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I also have a S3 with TWCNYC, in southern manhattan.

You're absolutely right. FX has no audio right now, and last night's Damages has no audio either. My Damages recording from 8/7 has audio. Time to call up the cable co, I guess.

3. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks rodalpho -

That's very helpful to know it's not just me or my set up or cable cards. I'm in southern manhattan also so they must have done something.

I'll call if you will :)

4. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Problem solved - see instructions above.

5. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Huh. Weird! I have AC3 disabled on my S3 too. I like the bleeps and boops.

6. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a TiVo fix for FX because the audio changes back.

which stinks. :thumbsdown:

7. johnb73

johnb73 New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I can confirm the same problem you are experiencing; the same locale, channel, show, you name it, on both tuners w ccards. Ill try the AC3 fix tonight, hopefully said fix will stick. thanks

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Tivo will automatically use the MPEG audio if there is no AC3 audio available. However, if the cable company provides a AC3 stream Tivo will use it, even if it is blank.

Cable company should not be providing a blank audio stream on AC3, they should just drop that stream.

Good luck in trying to convince your cable company that this is their problem.

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OK I don't know if this is temporary or not, but FX has suddenly regained audio and the MPEG streams are gone!

Maybe enough of us called TWC and TiVo and FX and they finally did something about it?

If anyone else who was experiencing this problem can check their FX channel that would be excellent.

10. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Just checked via my slingbox, FX now has sound.