Audio Dropouts on only 1 channel channel (WOW FX HD)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by WishIdInventedTivo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. WishIdInventedTivo

WishIdInventedTivo Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I've been experiencing 1 second (or less) audio drops on FX HD (channel 231 - WOW in Naperville, IL zipcode 60565) for many months. The problem repeats at intervals between a few seconds and perhaps a couple of minutes. I don't experience this on any other channels.

I assumed it was a broadcast problem even though WOW said they've had no reports of this problem. The problem exists when I watch a recorded FX show as well. I recently had both CableCARDs replaced (one went out and both were exchanged for a multi-stream card which I later found out this TiVo does not support). I have two different single-stream cards now and the problem still exists.

I spent some time today diagnosing the problem and discovered the dropouts are not consistent when I rewind and watch the same scene from a recording! I also discovered this problem doesn't exist with the TiVo's RCA L/R audio outputs.

The TiVo has an optical connection to an Onkyo TX-DS898 AV receiver. I've tried different decoding settings (TV Logic, ProLogic II, etc.) on the Onkyo and it doesn't help.

The TiVo's Dolby Digital setting is "Dolby Digital" which I thought was the right setting since my receiver can decode the signal. However, I just changed the TiVo to "Dolby Digital to PCM" and the problem is gone!

Why would this problem only affect this single channel? Does this mean FX HD is encoding the audio signal differently than other stations?

Is TiVo Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital to PCM the right setting? What am I giving up if it's set to PCM? I still get the TiVo "beep" but I think that's because I have one set of its RCA audio outputs connected to the Onkyo.

I'm not certain, but it's possible that set to PCM the audio is slightly out of sync with video on this channel or possibly all channels. I'm having trouble telling for sure.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

2. gcristof

gcristof New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm having the same problem on my TiVo Series 3 when watching FXHD as well as video pixelization and fragmentation. There are a couple of other nearby channels having the same issue, but all my other channels are perfect. Also, if I simultaneously view the FXHD channel through my Comcast/Motorola HD cable box on the same TV, the channel looks absolutely fine. The problem only exists when watching that channel through TiVo. Have you been able to figure out any thing else about the problem? Any additional info would be highly appreciated!

3. WishIdInventedTivo

WishIdInventedTivo Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Changing the TiVo Dolby Digital setting to "Dolby Digital to PCM" definitely solves the problem.

The downside is now sometimes when I press the "instant replay" button it takes a couple of seconds to get audio. This is on other channels. Maybe FXHD too but I haven't tested. Definitely other channels.

I'm not certain but I think connecting the TiVo RCA audio output to my receiver will fix this. IIRC the TiVo outputs to the RCA jacks all the time and the receiver switches to the optical connection only when there's a signal to decode. I think this is a documented TiVo digital audio output function.

Anyway as for the overall problem -- my guess is the audio stream for FXHD is slightly different than all others. The audio stream might not be quite right or it's a decoding issue with the TiVo. Either way, how do we get someone from TiVo to look at this? If it's a problem with the source audio then this probably needs to get back to FXHD. My cable company said they have no complaints about it but it takes a lot of complaints to register with a cable company.

4. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    I've got this happening this evening on my TiVoHD while watching America's Got Talent. It's on a standard def station in San Diego with TWC.

5. gcristof

gcristof New Member

Aug 4, 2009

Advertisements

Perhaps the cable company (Comcast in my case) needs to send a firmware update to the two tuner cards they provided to me for the TiVo? Since things were working fine before FXHD was added to the lineup, and since the Comcast/Motorola cable box decodes the new channel correctly, maybe there was an update that was sent out to the cable boxes? There may be a special procedure to update the Tivo tuner cards as well..