Audio Dropouts after 6.3c?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Zunetastic, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1 of 11
    Zunetastic

Zunetastic New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Forgive me for starting a new thread, but I am uncertain if this issue is the same as others that have been previously discussed.

Recently, our hr10-250 (stock) started experiencing 8-10 second audio dropouts. These appear to be occurring on every channel we watch, whether content is HD or not. We had previously experienced the 8 second audio dropout on FOX, followed by a slight video pixelation. This seems to be different. These new dropouts are worse than any we have yet experienced. They seem to happen every 5-10 minutes, which is far more often than before. The other item of note is that when audio drops, I can pause for 10 seconds or rewind and the audio is present in the recording.

I am speculating that this started after the 6.3c upgrade. I'm not sure exactly when the upgrade to 6.3c took place, but it was relatively recently and seems to coincide with when the audio dropouts got real bad (sometime in the last week or two).

My digital output setting is set to Dolby Digital. I'll try PCM when I get home tonight to see if that helps.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Does it seem to be tied to the 6.3c update? Do you use Dolby Digital or PCM for the digital output?

Thanks.

-- Greg

2. Mar 6, 2007 #2 of 11
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    I still get dropouts every now and then on my OTA ABC station. But the NBC and FOX dropouts have disappeared. Don't ask about CBS as I don't watch it other than sports. :)

3. Mar 6, 2007 #3 of 11
    Eben

Eben New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I've had a few recent random dropouts too (local OTA recordings), but I'm pretty sure they were problems with the transmission, not the hr10-250.

4. Mar 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    Zunetastic

Zunetastic New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Just a quick update. I verified that I'm experiencing audio dropouts whether digital output is set to Dolby Digital or PCM.

My wife and I were watching American Idol last night and the audio dropped 2-3 times during the 45 minutes or so we watched. At first the drops were very annoying, but when the audio dropped while Phil was singing LeAnn Rimes, we both started laughing and said "let it go, we don't need to hear any more of that!". (We normally pause or rewind so we don't miss anything). Of course, then we watched House, and the dropouts were very annoying once again.

I guess the next thing I'll look at is the cable (I'm using TOSLINK). Perhaps there is something wrong there. Hopefully I can find a fix. Apparently this problem isn't terribly widespread, otherwise I expect there would be a lot more noise on this forum.

5. Mar 7, 2007 #5 of 11
    Vin

Vin New Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Clifton, NJ
    I'm suddently getting the dropouts too (only on Fox, OTA and sat) after several weeks of 6.3c being trouble free. I tried rebooting last night, no help, then as Idol was about to start it rebooted on it's own. After that the audio dropouts were gone (go figure) but for how long?????

6. Mar 7, 2007 #6 of 11
    JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    No dropouts on CBS yet. But, I have had at least one reboot with 6.3c :(

7. Mar 8, 2007 #7 of 11
    Zunetastic

Zunetastic New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Tried swapping optical cables. No change.

I just finished watching Heroes from a week and a half ago (new york NBC feed). I think I probably had 10-12 dropouts. I should time the dropouts, but I'm pretty sure they're at least 15 seconds long, because as soon as one starts, I have to hit "instant replay" (which I believe is 8 seconds) 2-3 times if I don't want to miss any audio.

I have a wide open mind as to what might be causing this problem, but I'm still leaning strongly to it having something to do with 6.3c. As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed recently.

I'm considering calling DirecTV, however based on past experience, I don't expect that to lead anywhere, and I'm reluctant to waste my time doing so.... But I'm getting desparate. :(

I suppose the next thing I can try is to isolate it to the optical output by testing the analog RCA jacks. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will split out just the audio from the HDMI output? If so, I could try that, too.

8. Mar 8, 2007 #8 of 11
    Vin

Vin New Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Clifton, NJ
    In addition to using the optical output I also have the analog audio outputs going to my Pioneer A/V receiver (via my DVD recorder) and the dropouts were still there.

Interestingly though, I have the other set of analog audio outputs going to a modulator which feeds another TV and there were NO dropouts there. There are two possible explanations for this; a) the modulator or b) the signal isn't passing through the A/V receiver. I suppose I could have easily determined which it was by bypassing the receiver but as I said in my last post, the problem seems to have resolved itself after Tuesday night's spontaneous reboot......I've had no dropouts since then.

9. Mar 8, 2007 #9 of 11
    Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog HD / Tivo Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2004
    I noticed dropouts for the first time during Lost on our OTA ABC station. First time I'd had them since upgrading to 6.3c.

10. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    I have noticed some brief (sub-second) dropouts and bursts of pixelization, but only on material I've recorded over the past couple of weeks, and I've had 6.3c a week or two longer than that.

These dropouts may be a D* feed issue, not an HR10-specific issue. If you do a search, you will see that many HR-20 users over on DBS talk are complaining about audio dropouts as well. (A couple of users are claiming it's only happening on MPEG2 encoded programming, not on MP4.)

Could just be a coincidence that transmission related problems began after 6.3C was released. I don't recall any of the initial 6.3C users reporting dropout problems, but I may be wrong.

/steve

11. bachj69

bachj69 New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    I have noticed audio dropouts while watching LOST in the "live" mode and other shows on ABC.....I have figured out that while you are experiencing a dropout....just rewind the portion of the dropout...and then play it over again....and the dropout is not there on the recorded version.
    I really don't know why it records without the dropout but when watching live there is the drop out....can't explain it...all I know is that it works...good luck :cool: