Audio cut out when recordings start/stop? failing hd?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mr_smits, Jan 31, 2012.

1. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    On my Tivo Premiere with upgraded hard drive and multi-stream cable card, I am having the following problem:

* While watching a show, the audio (not video) cuts out for 1-2 seconds. Today it happened at 30 minutes past the hour, and I believe it happened another time on the hour.

I believe it has been happening for a month or longer. I did request and receive the beta software around the 12th, and today with the new software it happened again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a bad or failing hard drive? One idea is that it could be due to a recording starting or stopping on one of the tuners but not necessarily the tuner I am watching.

2. Feb 1, 2012 #2 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did it happen on the hour or the half hour in real world time, that is, if you started watching a two hour recording at 1:15pm, did it happen at 1:30pm or 2:00pm, or did it happen 30 or 60 minutes after you hit play, or if you fast-forwarded, at the point in the recording that occured during the recording after the elapse of 30 or 60 minutes?

Was it possible to "rewind" and go through the same portion again and hear the missing audio the second time around?

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 11
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Last night it happened at 630pm in real time. I know that 1 recording was ending and another recording on a different channel was starting. (EDIT: I believe from 6-630, both tuners were recording. At 630, the other channel that I wasn't watching stopped recording, switched channels, and began recording another show. The channel I was on simply stopped recording and the next show that I wasn't recording began playing.)

I know in previous instances, I could rewind the show I was recording and the audio would be cut out in that spot, so whatever was happening was dropping only the audio. The video was not paused or interrupted in any way.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #4 of 11
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, this is only a theory and I don't necessarily believe it myself, but if your power supply is marginal and the TiVo changing channels and starting the recording process on one of the tuners takes a little more current than the moment before, perhaps whatever handles incoming audio is getting starved of current just enough to cause it to cut out.

That's assuming in the first place that the problem isn't occuring upstream of your TiVo, say somewhere in the cable companies equipment.

If it isn't that, then maybe a software bug.

As far as I know the audio and video for a particular show go onto the hard drive as one big digital blob that has to get sorted out on playback, which is why I'm looking for an explanation that involves somewhere where audio and video are separate on the way to the hard drive.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #5 of 11
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Theories are welcome.

Is it normal for Tivo to hiccup when stopping recording on any channel? When I think about it, I don't remember my TivoHD doing that.

6. Feb 1, 2012 #6 of 11
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Mine has always done that (when it starts recording as well).

7. Feb 1, 2012 #7 of 11
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Does it hiccup on other channels or just the channel you are watching/recording?

8. Feb 1, 2012 #8 of 11
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I think I only notice it when it is recording the channel I happen to already be watching. It also hiccups when I switch from the HD menus to Live TV (I know it has to expand the video window to full screen then, but don't understand why that has to disrupt the audio since the connection between video and audio is highly tenuous anyway).

9. Feb 2, 2012 #9 of 11
    JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Yes, with our Premiere XL we've always had audio dropouts when a show starts or finishes recording on the other tuner.

The dropouts have gotten significantly shorter with the "first" version 20.2 (we just got updated to the second version today so I don't know yet whether it's changed again).

We don't record suggestions, so at least the dropouts are fewer and more "expected" because we know what shows are being recorded and when.

20.2 eliminated dropouts when the guide comes on/off (we always have the top right live video window on).

We have HDMI output from the Tivo connected to a Denon 4310CI audio system.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think some of those hiccups may be situations where it's actually going from playing back one file to playing back another, and even watching "live" TV is playing back a file (the buffer).

If you're watching channel 7 at 8:59 and it's scheduled to start recording channel 7 at 9:00, I'm not sure if the scheduled recording file is substituted for the buffer file, or if it's somehow recording into 2 files simultaneously off of that one tuner, but if it's really only that one file, then at 9:00 it jumps from the buffer to it.

11. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Examples of audio cutout on Premiere XL (HDMI connex from Tivo to Denon audio and from Denon HDMI to Sony Bravia NX810; Comcast M-card):

1. No recordings being made. Live TV being watched. Click on Tivo button to get to Tivo Central. Very quick audio cutout while menu appears, even though the channel has not changed.

From TivoCentral, click Live TV and the audio cuts out again, even though the channel hasn't changed.

2. No recordings being made. Live TV being watched. When scheduled recording starts on other tuner, on the same channel as the live TV is tuned to, there's always a brief dropout. This is with a season pass recording.

When the recording is not on the same channel as the Live TV then there isn't an audio dropout. This was tested on a non-season-pass recording.

On 20.2 both of these cutouts are very, very short. Prior to 14.9 they were much longer, 14.9 improved them, but 20.2 is best yet.