Audio and Video out of sync...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ronmiller69, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ronmiller69

ronmiller69 New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Advertisements

I went to play a recording made last night and the audio started with the green smoke screen in the background freezing. The audio continued to play if I left everything alone. If I tried to fast forward, everything would stop for a few minutes. When it started up again, I could bounce all the way to the end and back again. I could do anything but fast forward. The green smoke screen stayed on in the background. It only happens with this recording, my other recordings work fine. Could this just be a bad spot on the hard drive? I have had this unit for less than a year. Thanks for your help.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    How does "live" TV look? Have you tried a reboot?
    Does it do it on all recordings since it first appeared?

But, these are symptoms of a pending hard drive failure. Sorry.

3. ronmiller69

ronmiller69 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Live TV works fine. It only does this on one particular recording, the most recent one. This has never happened before. I did reboot, with no change in the problem.

4. Mr2sday

Mr2sday New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    If the green happened from the beginning of the show to the end and it doesn't happen with any of your other recordings, I would think it isn't the hard drive. Why would the hard drive go bad just at the part of the hard drive that happens to have that recording and not any other recordings?

My guess is there was a signal problem during that time that also occurred before and after the show, but is better now.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

Do subsequent recordings work okay? If so, then it probably was a signal problem.

6. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Because that part of the hard drive is damaged, possibly. The unit is actually pretty smart. Like a computer, it should isolate that section and not use it again. You lose a little disk space, but keep the functionality of the unit. You'll probably lose so little disk space, you won't even notice.

Or, as Jim Spence states, it may have been a signal problem and not the hard drive at all.

Hard to say.