Audio and video out of sync

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rossm777, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1 of 10
    rossm777

rossm777 New Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Rhode Island

Advertisements

I have a HUMAX HRT800 (80 hr Tivo with DVD recorder) hooked up to a Yamaha Receiver to a Cox High Def DVR cable box. In recorded programs on DRT800 the lips of people speaking are not in synch with the audio through my surround sound speakers. Tweeter who installed my setup with a Samsung 50" DLP projection TV has been out twice making adjustments and says the problem must be with the HUMAX box. Is anyone else having this problem? How do I troubleshoot or preferably fix this. It is annoying to spend all this money and have a relatively basic problem such as this. :confused:

2. Dec 1, 2005 #2 of 10
    ExcelGal

ExcelGal Math is our Friend

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota's...
    I've been having a lot of problem with this also lately. I have 2 TiVos, one Humax and one TiVo brand. They both do it, although I do think the Humax is worse. They both do audio through the TVs, no receiver involved.

3. Dec 2, 2005 #3 of 10
    no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Is the audio feed coming out of the TiVo, or out of the cable box? Please give detailed information as to how your components are connected so that we can help you troubleshoot the problem. Thanks.

4. rossm777

rossm777 New Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Rhode Island
    The Cabling was done professionally by the company that I bought the receiver and HD TV from. As best I can tell the audio goes from the cable box to the HUMAX hrt800 to the yamaha 5.1 receiver to the TV component 1 input. When I watch live TV audio is in sync. When I record through the DVR in the HD Cable box, the audio is in sync. Video is component video. There is also a single coax-type digital cable on the receiver that I cannot follow--real tight space with tons of nicely wrapped cables going all over the place. :confused:

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 10
    rossm777

rossm777 New Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Rhode Island

Advertisements

A friend told me that he has this problem where the actors mouths do not move in synch with the audio and does not have Tivo or a receiver, just a cable box. But he did say he has the same problem on a TV with no cable box. He believes it is the cable provider (Cox Communications). Anyone have an opinion before I call Cox and get the the anticipated "not our problem!"

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 10
    Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    All Tivos run the audio and video signal to the hard drive first then to the outputs on the back of the Tivo. This makes a delay of a second or so from the actual live signal. This is how you can rewind live TV.

For example; if the installer ran the audio from cable box to your receiver and the video from the Tivo, there would be sync issue. Of course the situation could be reversed. There could be other issues but the situation that I described would cause what you are describing.

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 10
    dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    If they installed it, I'd say it's their problem. If they want to blame the Humax, let them remove it to prove it. If they do, and it's fixed, then you can send them on their way, and you can hook it up yourself - correctly. If it's not fixed, then it's still their problem.

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is not the cable box, nor is it the difference between real live TV and TiVo live TV (although that lag DOES exist). The audio and video signals coming out of TiVo do get out of sync.

My S2 sometimes does this too, and I have it running straight off the cable coax. When it is really bad, I have tried comparing the same live TV straight off the cable to the TV vs the one out of the TiVo, and only the TiVo feed was out of sync. This proved the problem was the TiVo and not the transmitted signal.

Anyway, the TiVo manual even mentions that this happens sometimes. Their only suggestion is to change the channel to get them back in sync. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!
    Goose

9. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    That's wierd. :eek:
    I have three Tivos and they have never had a sync problem. Granted they are DirecTivos. I don't see where that would make a difference.

10. rossm777

rossm777 New Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I was able to record a program with Tivo that was NOT out of sync. It seems to be a crap shoot on when the problem is there and when it isn't. Everyone had good ideas and explanations, but to me it seems random and not only Tivo related. Sometimes the quick replay button can sync things up.

By the way all of my connections go from cable box to Tivo to to receiver (even video). Also I was only referring to watching Tivo recorded programs.

I'll wait for the Tivo series 3 price to come down and get one. Best price I found was $651 from GPS via Amazon.com (includes Amazon $30 rebate for using their credit card).