1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atypical (Netflix Series)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DeDondeEs, Aug 14, 2017.

1. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Watched the first episode last night and half of the second episode. Essentially the show is about an 18 year old student (first person narration) on the Aspergers spectrum who is starting to explore dating. I am enjoying the story-lines and casting. I think I will stick with it.

2. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    have watched the first 3 episodes. there are several LOL scenes and some cringe scenes too. very original show

3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I have a 13 year old daughter on the spectrum. I'd love to watch this show with her. Is there anything inappropriate for a kid her age?

4. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    she might be a bit young for this show. the main premise is the kid (16 or 17 y/o) trying to get a girlfriend to get laid. watch the first episode alone and then decide

5. DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah there is a lot of talk about sex so I would definitely watch the first episode to judge for yourself as to appropriateness. Also I read a few critical reviews from parents with children on the spectrum who didn't think the show accurately portrayed what being on the sprectrum was really like. Although I think the show does have a lot of good messages for kids in mid to late high school.
    The show does suffer from what I call "Michael Bay Syndrome" where like in his Transformers movies you have some mid-20's supermodel playing a dorky high-school girl.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm liking it so far. Don't think it's really kid appropriate though. Although it probably depends on the kid.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Binged it, couldn't stop just finishing it. I started off trying to alternate episodes with The Defenders. But after episode 3 I said "the hell with this" and just finished off Atypical. What a great series. I really hope we get another season from it.

8. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    binged the last 5 episodes. some very , very funny scenes in this show, highly recommended

9. DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Finished Season 1 last night. They better have a Season 2!!

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I thought Zahid looked familiar. He is the kid from the Liberty Mutual commercial that doesn't know what a lug wrench is.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I finished it in a two days. Great show. Looking forward to season 2

12. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Just finished, great series, only 30 min long episodes, easy to binge this one.

We all hated Elsa, great end, but knew it was coming.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched the first episode this morning and it was fantastic. The kid on the spectrum reminded me of the kid on the TV show Parenthood but an older version. He has the same mannerisms. I'm definitely hooked and will be binging this over the next few days.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Bumping this since Season 2 is now available. Watched the first 2 episodes and still enjoying it.

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The whole season is good. Burned through it a few days back. I want more! :)

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched E3 last night and still enjoying it. One of the things I like about it is that it's NOT just about the main character with Autism but about the family in general, some dynamics that have little to do with the main characters.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I finished this over the weekend and I thought S2 was even better than S1.

I'm not an emotional guy, but when Sam got up there and read the speech for his friend I was very choked up. For me, having had 2 kids with special needs, it was very emotional, and inspirational. I think the girl who plays the daughter is REALLY good and her story is really interesting as well. You can feel how much she cares for her brother. It's palpable. That's good acting.

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Reading back on the thread, I know there was a concern about it being about sex, but the second season was MUCH more about the characters and much less about Sam wanting to get laid. So it that concerns you, I want to allay your fears. There are definitely some adultish topics, but I don't think it's really any worse than most network dramas.

19. DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Finished season 2 last night. Love this show! Can’t wait for S03.

Steveknj likes this.