1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

att/D*TV pushing TiVo again

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BOBCAT, Feb 14, 2017.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    att/D*TV running TV commercials again pitching TiVo's DVR.
    Thought that they didn't have anymore in stock.
    Guess when someone calls in, they do the ol' pitch and switch, since the TiVo doesn't network or do the other features that D* DVR offers.
    If only they would activate the networking feature for the TiVo.
    The picture of the att TiVo box did have the att logo in it though.

2. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    From what I heard from an installer in the Long Island, New York area there are a ton of TiVo's collecting dust at the warehouse. He said he has never installed one.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    No wonder, since their TiVos are pretty crippled compared to their own DVRs. I would love to have the TiVo back, but not the way it is. It was crippled from the day it came out.

4. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Me too eddyj, me too...

5. Mar 2, 2017 #5 of 38
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Just give the poor thing MRV! At least you could then have a house full of THR22s and stream to each other!

6. Mar 3, 2017 #6 of 38
    eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, that is the critical item. Only 2 tuners and no MRV makes it unusable in a large household.

Bigg likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2017 #7 of 38
    SullyND

SullyND W: 38-18 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I was surprised to see a DirecTV TiVo commercial last weekend when I was in Vegas...

8. Mar 6, 2017 #8 of 38
    Nick Stefanisko

Nick Stefanisko New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    ATT/DirecTv really doesn't want to support Tivo. Their sales people don't offer it unless you ask and their installers don't know a thing about it. It seems like they are baiting with the name and switching to their own DVR. There is absolutely no reason why a two TiVOs in one house couldn't share content, except that its disabled on the DirecTv units. The reason I haven't jumped ship to the DirecTv DVR is that it has limit of 50 season passes and being able to watch TV recorded elsewhere is just not as important to me as not having to constantly manage my season pass list. It would be nice if DirectTv would allow Tivo to improve the product.

9. Mar 6, 2017 #9 of 38
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It's very odd that they are advertising a product that they don't want to sell, especially with the HS17 coming, and the current HR54/C61k doing 4 rooms, including one with 4k. They could have at least allowed TiVo to update the software on the THR22 and enabled MRV between THR22s, even if it wouldn't be able to go between an HR20/21/22/23/34/44/54 and a THR22.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    My observation, over the years, has been that DirecTV will do anything to sell service. Now they are ATT and these are two of a kind. So, they'll get people to switch to DTV/ATT and then, within a year or two, change everything to the cheapest possible service options.

11. Nick Stefanisko

Mar 6, 2017
    Tivo is a Kleenex kind of word. ATT is using the brand recognition to bring in the customer and then they tell them that their DVR is so much better. In reality the DTV DVR has more bullet point features, but only because DTV won't allow Tivo to match or offer better in the THR-22. There's no good reason for it other than the fact that DTV makes $6.25/mo on the HR-24 vs Tivo making $5/mo on the THR-22.

Bigg likes this.
  12. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I think it has more to do with controlling the UX and being able to iterate faster than TiVo was able to than just the raw dollars and cents. They did seem to push TiVo as far to the side as possible though... it would have been nice if they had allowed TiVo to develop their own hardware, or at the least have access to add all the features that make TiVo TiVo on DirecTV hardware.

13. Nick Stefanisko

Mar 6, 2017
    Got to disagree again. Tivo has had more UI and hardware updates than DTV has and Tivo has a much simpler navigation structure than the DTV DVR. Tivo is just a better platform, but DTV makes more money on their equipment. It's all about the money.

sharkster likes this.
  14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I still think it's mostly a control thing. If DirecTV thought that more than a small group of loyal TiVo followers would get DirecTiVos, they would have stuck with them. I think they wanted the control to go a different direction, and decided that TiVo was going to slow them down, and take over too much of their branding, so they went their own way.

15. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Is it possible they are working together again? Maybe an agreement where tivo retail boxes will offer DirecTV Now and in exchange they push the THR22 again while maybe working on a new one?

16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Wishful thinking, at least in terms of a new DirecTiVo. The HS17 is the future of DirecTV, and you're not going to see TiVo software running on it. DirecTV NOW or Sling are both pretty unlikely given the history of the companies involved.

17. Nick Stefanisko

Mar 6, 2017
    Bigg, here's the fallacy in that. Before the DTV DVR existed, DTV used Tivo. There were multiple manufactures for both Tivo and non-DVR tuners. DTV did not make hardware. It wasn't until DTV started making hardware that they forced out the 3rd party providers. They could have licensed the Tivo platform just like the other guys did, but they didn't. Not because they wanted the control, but because they wanted the money.

18. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    The Genie limit is 100, not 50.

19. Nick Stefanisko

Mar 6, 2017
    That's true, the Genie limit is 100. But the DTV DVR, which was the subject of my post, is 50. Also the Tivo does not have a limit. With my Tivo, I schedule all of the programs I want to auto record for a family of three and don't worry about removing them until the show is canceled. That is if it is a summer only show, who cares, if it is a winter only show, who cares. I don't have to constantly manage the set up. Between the three of us, we have over 150 auto records at any one time. With either a DTV DVR or Genie, I'd have to keep changing the programming every three months. Why the DTV devices have a limit is beyond me, completely unnecessary to limit it. You can't tell me that DTV can't do now what Tivo was able to do 20 years ago.

20. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I have a Genie, and a secondary regular DVR, so I have 150 to play with. But I would swap them in a second for a fully functional TiVo. TiVo is what brought me to DIRECTV, after Comcast pissed me off, back in the HDVR2 days.