ATSC channels being broadcast through cable provider - but no Guide. HELP!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tstretch, Sep 13, 2011.

1. tstretch

tstretch New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hello all - after talking to Tivo tech support many times on this, the guy suggested I ask all of you for assistance. Here's my situation:

• I have a Premier Tivo
    • I am not paying for any cable TV services from my local cable co (Brighthouse in Orlando, FL)
    • But, I have high speed internet through them and for free, receive about 20+ ATSC-like channels broadcasted over the cable line.
    • I say they are LIKE ATCS because they are 6-1. 6-2. etc and the programming and channels matche up with the ATSC broadcasts in my area.
    • I hear that this situation is very rare and that normally the cable co will broadcast in QAM only.
    • In order to see the channels on the Tivo I have to run the Guided Setup and select Antenna as my only source, pug an HD antenna into the ANT input on the Tivo, but ALSO plug the cable signal into the CBL input on the Tivo.
    • When i do this, I get all the channels from the cable source, but all the Guide info says on those channels says "To Be Annouced".
    • And BTW, I get very poor HD antenna reception where I live because of too many trees and the distance I am from them (25ish miles)
    How can I get the guide to recognize that the signal coming in on the CBL input matches up with ATSC programming?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The phrase you're looking for is not ATSC, but ClearQAM.
    and the answer is that the Tivo is not designed to work that way, you need a CableCARD to do the channel mapping, they do not support ClearQAM channels.

3. tstretch

tstretch New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Thank you DianeBrat. When you say:
    "you need a CableCARD to do the channel mapping, they do not support ClearQAM channels"
    do you mean the guide can't map ClearQAM channels? Because I can see the channels fine...

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    TiVo does not provide guide data for clear QAM channels.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It means that what you see is what you get, HD channels that you can not get guide info for since Tivo has chosen to not implement any sort of mapping of ClearQAM channels to the guide, that is one of the primary duties of the CableCARD, mapping channel line ups. Rather than rehashing this over and over there are several very good and informative threads on ClearQAM already, I'd suggest one of those might be best for your needs.
    This 71 page thread pretty much covers it all http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362736