Atlantic BB & Cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by twoehr, Sep 15, 2006.

1. twoehr

twoehr New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    MD

Advertisements

I just called Atlantic Broadband concerning cablecards and this is what I was told: They are available in my area, Eastern Shore of Maryland out of the Middletown, DE headend. You should ask for the "High Definition Card Package", it is $68.95 a month and includes one card. Additional cards are $2.00/month each. For comparison, the price for an HDTV package with one dual tuner DVR is $81/month. The salesperson I spoke with was Del and his extension is 3014. HTH

2. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I have ABB and use cablecard. So far I had 5 cards replaced, it's a nightmare. Cablecards are VERY sensitive to the signal quality .

3. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Any luck getting Atlantic Broadband HD channels working with your Series 3. They've been out for several visits and no luck so far. Getting them to understand what the Tivo is/does has been challenging to say the least. The latest tech thinks the cards are flaky and they will be bringing out new ones. Fingers crossed that's the problem.

4. dmagliar

dmagliar New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Please keep posting. I'm in South Beach with Atlantic Broadband and don't want to take an $800 bath because they can't install the cards.

Good luck!

5. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005

Advertisements

Here is my experience with ABB and CC:

I had a Mitsubishi 73927 working with CC for 6 months. A CC firmware upgrade came up and was never completed. CC stop working and was replaced. New CC was authorized but never gave back any of my premium channels.

Bought the TIVO 3 weeks ago , 2 CC installed and authorized, no premium channels at all.
    CC replaced twice, authorized again and no premium channels.
    POWER KEY STATUS remain "waiting for EMMs" , which in plain English means the cards don't recognize that I subscribe all premium channels.

I already had Carlos, at the head end, and Charlie, installation supervisor, involved and they tried everything , including re-registering everything, to no avail. It's like my account got "contaminated". I have to say that these guys have been very nice but it seems that they really don't know what can be done.

Since the Mitsubishi shows EXACTLY the same problem (no encrypted channel displayed) I am 100% sure that the S3 is not the culprit.

Rhalper, are you in South Florida? Please let us know if your problem is solved. If it is not, maybe we can talk and put some pressure on ABB.

Sergio

6. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Atlantic Broadband came yesterday. The technician activated the cards with the head-end office and told me that the system was extremely slow today so that I should wait and my HD channels should work in an hour. Of course, he then left. The HD and premium channels did not work at all. I called Atlantic Broadband back and they assured me that they'd send someone out with new Cablecards today. They then called me today and said that they were on the phone with people in "Atlantic" (they meant Atlanta) about Cablecard problems and that they wouldn't be sending anyone out today until they got a response from "Scientific Atlantic" (confidence inspiring that they don't know Atlanta or one of their main box manufacturers names). I insisted that they send a technician with new Cablecards since at this point they hadn't even tried replacing them and they agreed. No cable guy shows up so I call back at which point I'm told that noone will be coming out until they can resolve some issues at the head end office. I continually inquire why they haven't even tried replacing the equipment, but clearly the representative who I'm speaking with has no idea what's going on, nor can she connect me to a supervisor since they are all in a meeting. Supposedly I'll receive a call back within the hour. Does anyone know how to get in touch with the head-end office or anyone who actually knows their head from their ass? I'll keep you guys posted as I try to get this working.

7. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Yes, I'm in S. Florida. Miami Beach to be exact.

8. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    A supervisor just called me back. She maintained that the Scientific Atlanta Cablecards used by Atlantic Broadband DO NOT WORK with Tivo Series 3. They are supposedly working with Scientific Atlanta to figure out why, but that sounds fishy to me. She said she would call me back in a few days and let me know the progress. I'm going to see if I can contact Scientific Atlanta myself and see what the deal is. Is anyone out there using Scientific Atlanta cablecards? Looks like I might have to return my lovely S3...

-Reuben

9. ehardman

ehardman Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Kansas
    I also had the problem of no premium channels with my cards (Cox). You need to ask them to send a "cold hit" to the cards. That solved the problem.

Good luck.

10. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Tivo is getting their lawyers involved if Atlantic Broadband continues to maintain that the series 3 does not work with their cablecards. Tivo asserts that it's a configuration or knowledge problem on the part of Atlantic Broadband.

-Reuben

11. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Reuben

The cablecards ABB installed on my TIVO have the most recent SA software. The cards are dated April 2006 and an engineer from Mitsubishi confirmed that the firmware version is the latest one. Again, the problem I had with my Mitsubishi is the problem I have with the S3 and the same problem you have: No premium channels. The channels you are recieiving are the same channels available through free QAM without any cablecard.

The same kind of cablecard worked without a glitch for several months on my Mitsu.

There are only 2 possible culprits:

A new batch of CC that came defective , or

A cablecard provisioning problem caused by some kind of lack of knowledgement on how to attach our subscribed programs to the CCs.

I read somewhere that there should be 2 different hits, one to authorize the CC and other to send info on the channels we subscribe (encrypted). Apparently they don't know how to send this hit .

I have spent hours, days and nights trying to figure out what is going on. We replaced the CCs several times and nothing seems to work.

The problem is there, with ABB, trust me. We should keep bugging them until they realize what is going on .

I will keep you posted and please do the same

Sergio

12. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Sergio,
    Have you gotten Tivo involved?

13. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    No, not yet. I'm thinking about calling TIVO but the fact that exactly the same problem is present with the Mitsubishi TV leads me to believe that TIVO is not the culprit. The tech staff of ABB is attending some kind of meeting this week where issues with cablecards are being discussed, so I was told by Charlie, the installation supervisor. I will give ABB a chance until next week.

Let's keep talking , don't lose faith, yet.

Sergio

14. rhalper

rhalper Guest

Oct 16, 2006
    Spent two hours on the phone with Tivo. The tivo rep tried several times to conference in a Atlantic Broadband rep. The first time he was hung up on. The second time they connected us to the head end office which turned out to be a fax machine. The third time we got a customer service supervisor who indeed said that they maintain their cablecards don't work with the Tivo series 3. The tivo rep gave up and is bumping it up to Tivo legal. They said they would get back to me in five or so days.

-Reuben

15. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Reuben

Any news from ou beloved ABB? I have not heard back from them and I'm tired to wait 40 minutes on the phone to talk to people who just say "get a cablebox". So far I'm only using the S3 with OTA and few non-premium channels that I could get even without the CCs.

tks

Sergio

16. twoehr

twoehr New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    MD
    I finally bought a Series3 yesterday. (It takes me awhile to commit to a purchase. :) ) I called Atlantic and have an appointment for installation this Friday. I got the Hi-Def card packaged I mentioned before, plus one additional card ($68.95+$2). The CSR, Jeremy, said this was only the second time he has done a Hi-Def cable card order, but he knew what it was when I mentioned it. I did get a $12.50/month discount for 12 months for being a satellite customer, but I forgot to ask about any premium channel deals, I'm surprised he didn't ask if I wanted to subscribe to them.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how I make out. By the way my Tivo came with a "cheat sheet" to give to the cable installer so they know how to configure the cable cards for the Tivo. Is that new, or did they always come with that?

Tim

17. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    They have come with those sheets since the beginning, but according to quite a few nightmare installs some techs refuse to look at these instructions and just start going at it. Seems like there are a lot more good stories when the installers follow these instructions closely.

18. twoehr

twoehr New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    MD
    Mission Accomplished! Cablecards successfully installed and Tivo is working, took about 30 minutes from authorization of the cards to things were active on my end.

I got lucky on several accounts, good installer, he never did a cablecard install before, so he didn't pretend to know what he was doing, so he was happy to have my help. He also knew someone in back at the headend that was pretty smart and just called that person direct to enter the Host #s. (The tech actually has a hand-held that let's him actually do everything himself.) And the Cablecards are Motorola ones.

I did have one problem, after he left my cable modem was dead. I had to call tech support to get it going again. Problem had something to do with how the equipment is inventoried on the backend for my account. When the new hardware was added it effectively de-provisioned my modem. They had to re-org my account and whack my modem like a mole 'til it wised up.

Overall I'd say quite painless and I'm very happy. Now I just need to watch everything on the DirecTivo, I still haven't watched 24 from last year! :)

19. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    How is the PQ from ABB? I just got my series 3 hooked up last night for OTA only. It is working great. If MRV gets activated, I would seriously consider ABB if they had decent PQ and the right programming.

20. twoehr

twoehr New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    MD
    I'm quite happy with it. I was using OTA for a few days until the installer came and the HD stuff looks the same to me. If you're coming from D*, football is a heck of a lot better. (Broadcast and ESPN looked like cr@p to me. I guess that's how they get people to buy the Sunday Ticket package.)

I have a 50" Samsung DLP and sit about 10-12' away. I set the S3's output to 720P fixed. I run the HDMI out to my Samsung HT-Q80 and then HDMI-DVI to the TV. I've noticed some issues, but none I'd attribute to the S3. Sometimes the picture gets a magenta overcast when switching inputs on the receiver. Once that happens I have to reboot the receiver to fix that.

I did notice some signal issues, but I don't know if it is Atlantic or the network/channel signal. On Saturday ESPN's Maryland-Miami game had a lot of blockiness and the sound cutting out. Today the audio would cut out on FOX29 (Philly) during the noon time pre-game show. I think both were the carrier, not the cable.

I think the picture on the analog cable channels is really good too. I was expecting disappointment as D* was just so sharp I hadn't considered going to cable before. (Obviously, I've decided TiVo is more important than D*.) I think I'm going to be annoyed about the lack of HD where it should be, i.e., today's Eagles game isn't HD, what the F? :confused: But at least I can see the Eagles now. (D* was Baltimore channels only.) I've also realized that cable doesn't carry the Baltimore Fox, so I can't see Raven's games now. (I'll get over that, but that's the most I can complain about Atlantic so far.)

My only concern now is if my front panel is working correctly. I don't see the box showing picture output res, should I, shouldn't I? I had to return the first one as the panel OLED was totally dead. EDIT: I got it, from snathanb on another thread, "The output will come on if you press the little format button along the bottom front edge of the Tivo.". (I can barely create a bookmark in Notes, don't ask me to link to the other thread!)