Atlanta OTA PBS issue.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by eclarkso, Apr 11, 2007.

1. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007

Advertisements

For anyone in the Atlanta area:

I have an OTA S3 setup. PBA (Atlanta PBS) is listed in the guide data as digital channel 30-1 (matching its analog OTA ch. 30). However, PBA appears to be actually broadcasting digitally (but not in HD) on channel 23-1 21-3, so obviously all the guide data is wrong. I filled out the form on the tivo site [which I can't link to] a while ago, but never got a response and nothing every changed. I just did it again: is there anything else I can do?

In a related matter, from searches of this and other forums, I've heard that PBA may be going HD this June along with many other of Georgia's PBS stations--can anyone confirm that? And if so, is that potentially why the guide data is wrong: when they switch to HD, they'll actually start using 30-1? Anyone know if any of this sounds correct? Thanks,

Ed

2. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    WPBA's website says they're on frequency 21, not 23. So, if there were some problem, I would have expected to see 21-1, not 23-1. Unless their PSIP information is providing the wrong mapping.

What does the Signal Strength screen say is the digital frequency when you're tuned to 23-1?

Also, if if was bad scanned information - clearing scanned channels, and then rescanning may clean it up.

3. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with this problem. When I first set up my S3, I was receiving PBA on 23-3, but not 30 or 21. Now I don't get it at all. My S3 shows a strong signal on 30, but no picture. My HR-250's pick it up just fine on 21 and 30. Can you still pick it up on 23? thanks

4. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Odd. 23-1 is from memory, but I was pretty confident my memory was ok... In any case, it's not 30-1 like the guide says :).

I'm not at home now, but I'll look at the dig. freq. when I get home and report back.

I'll try deleting/rescanning as well, but I think I rescanned (but didn't delete first) a while back in hopes that might changes something. But I'll do the full monty though this time. Thanks,

Ed

5. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa

Advertisements

you may not want to delete and rescan; that's what I did, and now I don't get the digital feed of PBA at all

6. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    That sounds awesome. Thanks for the warning! I guess it wouldn't be a huge loss--given that I get no guide data for where the programs play, nothing gets recorded and I rarely flip there live since the guide doesn't list titles to grab my attention :).

Like you, I also get a strong, blank signal (with the appropriate guide data) on 30-1, but I don't *think* I've ever seen anything on 23-3.

As I said, I'll fiddle some when I get home. In the meantime, I hope some other ATL-area folk join in!

Ed

7. tmackie

tmackie New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Newnan, GA
    My 30-1 OTA went away recently. Channel is broadcasting with no signal....

I have E-Mailed WPBA repeatedly and they have never stated any plans to go back to the National PBS-HD feed. (Cost issues)

If anyone has any solid information re: WPBA going back to the National Feed please share it with us!!!

8. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    It almost has to be an S3 compatibility issue, because my HR-250s show PBA coming in on 30.1 and 21.1. I tried to talk to Tivo about but they basically said there was nothing they could do. I've pretty much resigned myself to not getting PBS on the S3

9. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jeez, I hope not. But bear in mind that I've heard that GPB (distinct from PBA) is hopefully going HD (or at least digital) this summer--though I can't now find where I read that, so I wouldn't consider it anything substantial (unfortunately for the other previous poster).

10. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Just an update to this thread (and to correct my own misinformation).

Contrary to my original post, I actually get the PBS broadcast on 21-3 (not 23-1).

Also, TivoJerry PM'ed me and had me submit some logs to open a report on the TiVo side, so at least someone is looking at it.

Ed

11. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    that's right, 21-3; that's where I had it before I cleared and reset; after that, I don't get it at all; again, the hr-250's pick it up where it's supposed to be, at 30-1 and 21-1

12. edge64

edge64 Edge

Dec 23, 2006
    Prattville,...
    I had a similar problem in Prattville, Al with WAKA (CBS 8) I was receiving OTA on channel 8.1 using S3 with channel guide info. Suddenly the S3 was receiving on channel 55.1 (WAKA's frequency). I contacted the station in Montgomery and I sent an e-mail to TIVO. TIVO assigned a case number but never responded. The station admitted they were having some issues with their PSIP but thought it was corrected. Two weeks later I started receiving OTA on 8.1 just as previously. I believe the station PSIP was at fault, not the S3.

13. kduerr

kduerr New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm having the same problem here in Connecticut with the local ABC affiliate (WTNH in New Haven). It was showing on 8-1 since November as of late March it showed up on 10-3 but with no Guide data.

I used the TiVo link for the guide issues and received a case number but no further discussion has taken place.

While waiting for them, I also emailed WTNH (no word yet) and deleted/re-scanned by channels. Unfortunately I had the nasty side effect of 10-3 going away and now it won't come back.

Anyone else have any tricks?

(This worked great for months and I was getting addicted to finally see all my favorite ABC shows in HD. WTNH is the lone major in the area holding out on all the cable companies so there is no other way to get ABC in HD here. Lost just isn't as good in SD!)

14. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, since TiVo is (hopefully) looking at this I'll just leave things be since it won't do any good and apparently could lose me the channel.

But I don't understand why you say the channel is supposed to be on *both* 30-1 and 21-1? I believe it's just supposed to be on 30-1; I did a little poking and found this page which says as much: http://www.pba.org/about/pba30/dt21/
    [There's also an email address there to inquire or comment on the digital signal which might be useful as well.]

However, bear in mind I don't know very much about how the whole frequency mapping mess works, so I could be misinterpreting something.

Ed

15. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Where were you when I _needed_ you. I have exactly the problem being described here (another part of the country) and I rescanned and totally lost the wandering channel completely.

Tivo tells me to get a "booster." With a 96 on the meter! And an HR10-250 with the same antenna feed getting that channel fine! OK, so I got one. Now that this totally unnecessary amp I bought produced no result, they're willing to replace the s3, but that's a big hassle without much reason to think problem solved.

In my area, there are reports of Windows Media Centers having the identical issue with the same channel. It's an interface problem of some kind, probably PSIP handling, affecting only a very few customers.

My local TV station has just let me know that "Jerry" from Tivo has called and they are trying to get him in touch with their engineer who knows the most about this stuff. He's unfortunately in the field this afternoon. Don't know if it's our own TivoJerry, but someone's on the case!