Assistance needed...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cap'n Jack, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    First of all let me apologize if some of the assumptions I make here are incorrect, but they come from lack of knowledge...

I currently am looking to replace the Main TV (Regular) with an HD model. I've had DirecTV for about 5 years now and can't see any other alternative. In addition I am in an area that I CANNOT receive local channels over the air.

Hooked up to that set I have an R15 (that I’m less then thrilled about) and would want to replace that receiver with an HD model (HR10-250?). My concern here is the new MPEG-4 compression that is used for local channels. My assumption is that the HR10-250 does not support local HD channels (in the Los Angeles area) and that I would need to get an H20 receiver and a separate DVR unit to make this all work. That is something I don’t want to do.

Your suggestion on how to proceed especially with your knowledge of up and coming products (TIVO based or not) would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------

Also as a side question, with the new leasing fee that DTV now has, is there some point (after a year or two) that you no longer pay the fee and now own the equipment outright?

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    My first suggestion would be to hang out in the HD Tivo section because this question is asked all of the time.

The HR10-250 will work with HD locals over satellite since both NY and LA are still being broadcast in MPEG2.

An H20 + stand alone DVR is a poor choice because there is no stand alone DVR that will record HD from satellite without extensive modifications. There's a whole section over at AVS about this type of setup.

No idea about your lease question. That's why you can still buy the HR10-250 at NewEgg and a few other places.

How do you know that you CANNOT get HD via OTA? Have you plugged in your information at Antenna web? Have you check out your neighborhood in the LA DMA OTA thread at AVS?

-Robert

3. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack New Member

Jan 11, 2006

I live in a canyon in the hills and cannot even get radio (except XM). OTA is simply not a choice.

Some sort of MPEG-4 DVR model must be coming out soon, do you have any info as to when?

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    "This year"... is the best out there right now. some are saying as soon as August.

But only time will...