Aspect Ratio Wrong on S2 DT Model

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Pachelbel, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Pachelbel

Pachelbel New Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I have two series 2 TiVos, an older single tuner (ST) model and a dual tuner (DT). All shows transferred from the ST model play correctly on my PC. All shows transferred from the DT are "squished" -- that is, they are too tall.

Both the "TV Aspect Ratio" and "Video Smoothing" options under "Messages & Settings->Setting->Video" are set the same on the ST and DT (4:3, smoothing off).

I've tried transferring the shows with both pyTivo and TiVo Desktop.

I've tried recording the same show from the same channel for comparison.

I've tried using the TDCM tool to check codec preferences, but couldn't find any option such that video from the DT played correctly.

I'm using Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista.

Any suggestions?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I assume you have a cable box on the dual tuner tivo, have you checked the aspect ratio setting on the cable box leading to the DT. You may also be recording from a HD channel.

3. Pachelbel

Pachelbel New Member

Feb 1, 2012
    No cable box. Analog channels. And files pulled from my 2ST using TiVo Desktop play fine. Files pulled from the 2DT are squished. As I said, I even tried recording the same show/channel on each TiVo and transferring them. The 2ST played fine. The 2DT was squished.

Looking at the video information in each recording with MediaInfo:

2ST - Aspect Ratio: 4:3
    2DT - Aspect Ratio: 0.652 <-- what?

It does look like the aspect ratio in file pulled from the 2DT is weird.

The 2DT is a model 649 running software version 9.3.2b01-2-649.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Series 2 TiVos typically don't use square pixels, and some codecs don't stretch those files correctly. For your S2DT, Basic and Medium recordings use 480x352. High uses 480x480 and Best uses 544x480.

What MPEG-2 codecs have you tried using TDCM?

By any chance is your single tuner one of the models with a DVD recorder? I think they use standard resolution files.