aspect ratio, 4:3 tv, not working quite right

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobster954, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011

Advertisements

I have an old standard def tv from 2004...

I guess it might be strecthing the shows by default with no way to change it...

Most shows are okay, but some..like comedy central jon stewart, are showingup with cut off edges. I tried changing to 4/3, 16/9, and smart...but it was the same.

the only way I could see all the sides was to go to 16/9 mode and then go to panel mode...which made it a long squishy up down box. In other words, was not letter boxing it.

I imagine my tv will not work right with it and is the problem, but if you have any clues I would appreciate it...

(can't afford a new tv after throwing down huge bucks on this...lol)

edit: the cut off on some of these channels are very small sides of the program..but just enough.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think some shows are just "remastered"(might be the wrong word) that way. Or instead of actually remastering, the just stretch it to try to make it look like hi def(or 16:9 etc). Hard to change.

It's not the Tivo or the tv.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you say where you are and what cable system you are on maybe someone else can tell you if they have the same issues with those channels. As I tend to agree with dwit that it is not your TV or TiVo, but the way the channels are being broadcast.

Also what TiVo do you have?

Good Luck,

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Is this on the HD channels?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Setting on the TiVo should be 4:3 and panel, then for format button on front, keep pressing it until its FIXED 480i

6. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    sry, here is the info..

comcast, south florida , permiere.

the channels looked like that when using the comcast dvr also, so it is probably the channel altered to look more hd and slightly off size from 4:3

in 4:3 mode, the panel/zoom/full does not work..the picture does not change. You have to be in smart of 16:9.

thinking of lying to tivo box and saying it is hd just to see the hd menus..lol

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The format also will affect the picture, so don't forget to set to FIXED 480i, since the SD tv is only 480i.

Also, what connection do you use to the TV? You should only use composite (yellow) or S-Video with audio (red/white).

If i remember, I think the 16:9 video gets squished on a 4:3 output. I had a 16:9 video that I sent to a 4:3 DVD recorder and it was squished to fit a 4:3 screen. Later on, I put that disc to my PC and using VideoReDo TVSuite, the video was un-squished.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the TiVo isn't connected to an HD TV, I don't think it even allows you to change this setting. Could be wrong. I'll check later.
    Later: Ok, I was wrong about this one. It does allow you to change it. What I don't know is what happens if you change it to something else when connected to a non-HD TV via composite or s-video. Does it even have any effect? I have no intention of experimenting however. For one thing, the 4:3 TV doesn't even belong to me.:)

If the TiVo Aspect Correction Mode is set to "Panel" and TV Aspect Ratio is set to "4:3 Classic Screen", 16:9 video will display in letterbox format. My THD is connected to a 4:3 TV and I watch 16:9 HD recordings on it all the time.

9. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Member

Feb 18, 2011
    "The Daily Show" is now optimized for HD viewers, so they do cut off the pillarbox sides when they use the HD video from CNN and Fox News on the SD side (which produce everything to fit 16:9 without any exceptions), and that shows up on CC's SD feed. Same with a few other shows on some other networks and most sports highlights shown on ESPN and local news from Fox Sports, which mandates 16:9 widescreen across their entire operation. Not your fault at all.

Also, there are a few annoying networks that are catering to the people who have plunked down money for a widescreen but then turn on the stretch mode for SD channels and have a 5-10% chance to ever be picked up as an HD channel on most cable systems, so they just squash the HD 16:9 picture into an SD 4:3 space, so that when it's stretched out it'll look fine on a widescreen (this is a major problem on MTV's music video networks and some of the 10 cent channels you find far deep in the sports tier like MavTV and the Sportsman Channel). However they've lost most consideration for 4:3 viewers and unless you get in a good complaint, they'll just keep doing 4:3 squished video.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you stick to the HD feed for those channels, you should be able to get it in letterbox.