Ascension

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Odds Bodkins, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1 of 161
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006

Advertisements

Three night event on Syfy starting presently. Reviews are middling but, you know, Tricia Helfer. Anyone else in?

2. Dec 15, 2014 #2 of 161
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm watching it. I'm just wondering what year the ship launched. (If the screen showed a date, I've let my attention wander a few times and I've only listened so I might have missed it.)

I'm just wondering about the second-in-command being black. How early on would the American culture have "allowed" that? (After all, their culture is based on that of whatever year they left Earth.)

I know they left at some point during the 60s, but I'm not sure if Kennedy would have still been alive or not. Certainly that early, wouldn't there have been far too much bias, despite the "pleasantness" people would have striven for with regards to racial matters?

EDIT:
    Oh, why am I not surprised? 9:30...and we see Number Six doing pretty much what she was doing when we first saw her with Baltar on Galactica.

Obviously, the Captain's wife is not only unfaithful; she's a Cylon.

3. Dec 15, 2014 #3 of 161
    gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    WOAH!!!

Did not see that coming.

I will admit I'm a little disappointed. Leave it to SyFy to pull a stunt like this. They promise one thing, then turn it into something like this. Bah!

A little curious, tho'. Right at the end, how did they manage the suction effect?

4. Dec 15, 2014 #4 of 161
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    HUGELY disappointed with the twist at the end of episode one.. Up until then I was pretty psyched at the scope of what they were trying to pull off for their December miniseries, now, notsomuch.

5. Dec 15, 2014 #5 of 161
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

I feel cheated.

6. Dec 16, 2014 #6 of 161
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Son of a...

Tivo recorded a second airing. Which included the end of the previous airing in it, and guess what information was revealed as soon as I hit play...

/Sigh...

7. Dec 16, 2014 #7 of 161
    gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    We had a power outage. I was recording the first run, and the power went out about 45 minutes in.

The power came back on a while later, and I had to go around resetting a few things...

Got the TV and cable box up and running just in time to see the tail end.

Recorded the second showing from start to end, but not sure now if I want to get the rest. Getting a new recording of part one was sort of defiance against the power failure. Now, tho', the direction the story's gone, getting parts two and three... Not so appealing.

Watch. I won't record 2 and 3, and right at the end it'll turn out things really did go the way we thought at first, but the experiment is to give them an idea how it's likely to be going, and then we'll see the ship arrive at its destination.

Nah. SyFy is too dribbly at this point to give us all that.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #8 of 161
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Although I'm disappointed, I still plan to watch 2 and 3 (or at least 2... let's see how that goes). If only to see what they do with the psychic girl.

9. Dec 16, 2014 #9 of 161
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Was blindsided by the reveal. But, can you imagine how pissed the people on the "ship" are gonna be?

Not sure how helpful the experiment is gonna be. If it fails, what do you do, start another 100 year test?

10. Dec 16, 2014 #10 of 161
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I guess it's all about expectations. I suspected throughout most of the episode that the ship was fake, and was not at all disappointed.

I'm thinking that this is some sort of eugenics program. The purpose of the "ship" is to keep people contained to allow for the controlled breeding.

"Ascension" could mean ascending to the next level of human evolution rather than into space.

The fire in 31 AA (After Ascension) must have either been to kill off any remaining "grandparents" who knew the truth or to give them an excuse to leave.

Although I suppose it's possible even the original crew thought they were really taking off from some secret base that "opened" its roof when they were ready to leave. It does seem kind of heartless for all those parents to deliberately lie to their kids like that. But maybe they believed in whatever end goal they were striving for, and thought their descendants would be better off in the long term.

11. Dec 16, 2014 #11 of 161
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm definitely assuming that even the original crew was deceived, pending further info. Although simulating takeoff must have been difficult.

Back when I still assumed the mission was real, I was thinking -- they must be relying on continuous acceleration to simulate gravity, since it doesn't (based on the orientation of things) appear to be rotational gravity. So, they're about halfway, at which point they'll have to turn the ship around and start decelerating. That would mean a brief interval of zero G... which will be hard to impossible to duplicate in the simulator. So maybe the experiment is (and was always) going to stop at the halfway point (i.e., soon)?

12. Dec 16, 2014 #12 of 161
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    It wouldn't have been difficult if they were all in "Stasis" during the launch.

Hey maybe they told them something like this.

"The first year of your journey will be in stasis, we will put you to sleep and then you will wake up once you are already a year from earth"

13. Dec 16, 2014 #13 of 161
    vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    There was enough foreshadowing that the twist wasn't a surprise for me.

You could slowly turn the ship while under power, no need turn it off to start decelerating.
    For a 100 year year trip, pointing in the wrong direction for a day or two isn't going to make much difference.

14. Dec 16, 2014 #14 of 161
    vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    unless you were using the ships acceleration to provide artificial gravity

15. Dec 16, 2014 #15 of 161
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    So far they've avoided exotic theoretical technologies like that. Not to mention, the existence of a stasis technology would seem to eliminate the need to build a generation ship in the first place.

16. Dec 16, 2014 #16 of 161
    quango

quango Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Macon, Georgia
    The math doesn't work; I tried it, and the constant Newtonian acceleration that gets you halfway to Proxima Centauri in 50 years is nowhere close to constant Earth gravity (I figure it around 0.004 m/s^2). If you accelerate at g or something close to it, you get into seriously relativistic speeds within a few months.

I suppose you could get around this to some extent by continuously changing the orientation of the ship while accelerating at 1g to maintain a constant acceleration without affecting your net trajectory, but you'd waste obscene amounts of fuel to do so.

Four other big hints that it's all faked, assuming it's based on 1963 technology, are also physics-related:

* Nothing on the ship is designed to work right in the absence of gravity.
    * Gil Bellows knows there's something wrong at work and is panicked as if he can actually do something about it. If Ascension is really halfway to Proxima, whatever crisis happened over two years ago and by the time he can fix it, everyone's dead or the crisis is averted anyway.
    * Proxima (presumably the giant red cloud) should be dead-ahead, not off to the side.
    * Assuming constant acceleration, they crossed the Rubicon decades ago. 50 years into the flight, even if they immediately flip around and constantly decelerate, it's going to take 50 years to stop... at Proxima... then, you'd have to accelerate another 50 years back followed by 50 years of deceleration. Isaac Newton is the deadliest SOB in space.

Now most of these things assume the absence of artificial gravity, or at least the absence of lying to the crew to tell them that they have invented artificial gravity. (After all, you don't really need to have invented artificial gravity, any more than you need to irradiate the ship to fake an ion storm or have built a working nuclear propulsion system if you're simulating the whole thing.)

The real interesting question is why some people on the ship haven't figured out that the math doesn't add up. Anyone with a knowledge of high school physics should be able to calculate 1/2*9.8*t^2 and figure out that either the timeframe or gravity is wrong (and could replicate Galileo to confirm g) or that the Rubicon date isn't right. At the very least, the astronomer (Lorelei's sister) should know these things and probably terraformer guy too, even assuming that most of the crew aren't that bright. That suggests to me that at least some people on the ship DO know what's happening and are in cahoots with Bellows.

17. Dec 16, 2014 #17 of 161
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched about 50 minutes. I found myself not paying attention at all. Super bored by this show. I see people mention a twist, but I don't even care at this point.

18. Dec 16, 2014 #18 of 161
    desulliv

desulliv Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Just confirms moon landing was faked...:rolleyes:

19. Dec 16, 2014 #19 of 161
    vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    you only have 15 mins to go

20. Dec 16, 2014 #20 of 161
    desulliv

desulliv Member

Aug 22, 2003
    I don't remember devices with ctl keys in the 60's.