1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arris launches new TiVo-powered set-tops aimed at smaller cable operators

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tarheelblue32, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is Arris a Rovi company? Or just a partner?

3. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
  4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't know if this is good or bad when it comes to our stand alone TiVos. This shows that TiVo is not likely going to build a "Bolt" for deployment to their cable partners. Also I have to wonder how much longer it will be before the Premieres and Roamios currently being used by TiVo's cable partners are replaced by this box. Right now continued support of Premieres & Roamios is pretty assured because of these cable partners. What happens when they care gone?

5. SullyND

SullyND L: 38-20 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Pace made TiVo boxes as well. Pace is now owned by Arris. Wonder if these are t aimed at the same existing clients.

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't the Premieres, Roamios, and Bolts all use essentially the same software? I'm guessing TiVo will just reuse their current software on these new boxes. No reason for them to reinvent the wheel.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    though I have no inside knowledge, I would say "essentially", but more like different versions of a desktop OS, with later versions obviously corresponding to later-released hardware... and each version corresponding to its own unique hardware.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It is pretty close to the same software now (some setting menus are different on the Bolt) but if there are no Premiers/Roamios in use by cable companies, there may not be any driving reason to continue to do so. It takes much more work to make sure any updates will work on 3 now 4 platforms than to just make updates for one platform. Plus you no longer have to worry about the hardware restrictions of the old platforms (remember the Premiere hardware is 8 years old now) if you only focus on the current platform.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I bought a Moxi DVR back in 2009 when they were ran by Digeo who wanted to compete head to head with TiVo. Arris later acquired them for the tech and was using it in their boxes for a while but I am guessing they gave up on developing it further based on this news. One of my old Moxi's is still running at my mom's house, Arris has not shut off the guide link yet!

10. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, that could well be. Or it's possible that the software stack in these Arris units differ even more dramatically than that from retail Bolts and Roamios. I note that those stories specifically mention that these Arris boxes use the "TiVo UI". It seems likely that commonalities in the software stack go deeper than just the UI, but who knows? The valuable stuff that TiVo has to license are their UI/UX (both on-screen and remote design) and the metadata that powers it. As they get out of the hardware game, I'd expect to see those elements get licensed to outside hardware vendors for use on top of increasingly different software stacks. There was a story a few months ago that the TiVo UI was being ported to run atop Android.

The same goes for the eBox from Evolution Digital, another new box for MSOs that licenses the TiVo UI. BTW, the eBox is more of a transitional QAM/IP box, with only one QAM tuner and no local hard drive. It's powered by Evolution Digital's backend server software to provide the "VU-IT!" IP-VOD as well as network DVR (i.e. cloud DVR) if and when the MSO chooses to deploy that feature. This new Arris MG2 box, on the other hand, contains six QAM tuners and a hard drive, so it's more like a traditional TiVo. But it does offer the VU-IT! IP-VOD platform powered by Evolution Digital. (Both boxes, of course, also support various OTT apps like Netflix.)

Exit Q: I wonder, do these new Arris boxes use the existing TiVo UI or will they debut with the new Hydra UI?

11. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Arris sold the Moxi UI to a company called Espial in June of 2016. I posted this over on AVS in the Moxi thread. Also Espial is in financial trouble so I would not expect this last much longer.
    Moxi HD DVR - Page 238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    The box pictured looked like a Bolt without the bump. It is 4k capable so it may be a Bolt in a regular box.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They use HAXE specifically so they don't have to maintain 4 different versions of the software. They can just cross compile the code to whichever platform they want.

I have it on good authority they are working on a new version that will include the new, completed, HDUI from the Bolt on all 3 current platforms. I've also heard rumors that the new Hydra UI will NOT run on the Premiere units, so this update could be the last one the Premiere units ever get.

aaronwt and tim1724 like this.
  14. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Service Electric Plugs In TiVo
    Rolling out TiVo-powered platform led by Arris 4K/HDR-capable gateway/DVR

Service Electric Plugs In TiVo | Multichannel

Service Electric Cable TV is preparing to launch a new TiVo-powered video platform that will be headed up by the Arris MG2 Cable Media Gateway that can support 4K and High Dynamic Range as well as over-the-top video services.

The new platform will also be capable of supporting other new features on TiVo’s roadmap, including voice navigation and an advanced interfaced, called Hydra, that is starting to reach the market through TiVo partners such as Vodafone España.

Jim Denney, vice president of product management and strategy at TiVo, noted that the Series 6 gateway being rolled out by Service Electric is the same generation as the Bolt, TiVo’s current top-of-the-line retail whole-home DVR product.

tim1724, aaronwt and JoeKustra like this.
  15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Wow. I have SECV. This is interesting.

I'm sure Jed1 will have more information.

There are two related web sites:
    www.secv.com
    www.sectv.com

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Might be easier to just rent a TiVo from the MSO going forward. Less expense and no worries about obsolescence.

17. Cheap Flyer

Cheap Flyer New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Coopersburg, PA
    I am also a Service Electric customer. Very interesting indeed. I wonder what the monthly charge will be? Their current whole home DVR is a whopping $27.99 a month.

Not sure if I have a need for this as I have a house full of lifetimed TiVo's and minis. Although it would be very nice to have access to On-Demand services.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Add your location to your profile. This thread is best place for information:
    Service Electric Cablevision News - Cable users | DSLReports Forums

Cheap Flyer likes this.
  19. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    This is the first time I've seen an MSO-supplied TiVo described as "Series 6". I guess that means the hardware is pretty much the same as the Bolt/Bolt+. That's good news for retail Bolt owners.