Arrgh! HR10-250 v6.3b constantly rebooting!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vonburkleo, Dec 25, 2006.

1. vonburkleo

vonburkleo New Member

Feb 15, 2003

Advertisements

Not sure when it was upgraded, but my unit is running software verion 6.3b. I haven't watched much TV in the last few days, but watching the Dallas/Eagles game today, the darn box keeps freezing, then reboting every 20-30 minutes. It's pretty much useless.

Anyone else with this exact issue? I've seen posts about people experiencing daily reboots, but this is ridiculous!

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    If it is rebooting and freezing about every 20-30 minutes it is most likely a failing hard drive.

3. Monkeybiz

Monkeybiz New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    I'm having the exact same problem so doubt it's his HDD. Pretty coincidental that all week I've had reboots since the 6.3b upgrade. And I still can't find folders in my list.

I'm call DTV tomorrow and demanding some redress.

4. vonburkleo

vonburkleo New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    No DTV redress for me...I bought this box from a retailer a couple of years ago (nothing DTV could do for me...although I'm sure they would repeat their offer to give me a HR-20 for $99 if I gave them the HR-10....yeah right).

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

I had one last night.

Was watching something from a couple weeks ago, halfway through, "Welcome, Powering Up".

I've had 6.3b for about a week or so, but haven't done much watching on this TiVo, as it isn't as full as the others, so couldn't say if it was a one time occurance or if has been frequent since 6.3b.

phox

6. JPhotoz

JPhotoz New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    I have the reboot problem too. I am still with 6.3a even though I have forced call twice a day.

I called DTV and they told me that this is the first they have heard about reboots and freezing up with the HR10.

I basically called him a liar.

He offered me a new machine ( I did not ask which one) for 19 shipping but I would possible have to ship my machine back (possibly)

But 2 year commimnent.

I told him I would have to think about it.

Since some are telling me that it still happens with the new 6.3b I will have to call them back. If I can get it without the 2 year.

Then I would have to learn how to take programs off the old machine.

Jordan

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    There's your problem, you have 6.3a on a machine it wasn't made for. :D

phox

8. JPhotoz

JPhotoz New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Opps I meant to say hr10.

I fixed it above

Jordan

9. sk33t3r

sk33t3r New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    6.3a has audio issues with fox ota, 6.3b has issues with the logs filling up thus causing seveal issues. Call DTV and complain!!!

10. OhioUmpire

OhioUmpire New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    I am having the same problems with my HD DirecTivo. I will go to watch a Tivo'd show and it is only a partial recording. When I look at the recording history, it says "power was disconnected" which I know is not the case. I am also finding that sometimes when I come downstairs to watch TV, I turn my TV on and its just a black screen, no picture. The Tivo will not respond to the remote and it is locked up. The only way to recover is to unplug and plug the unit back in.

I have called DirecTV and they say they have no other reports of this, which is obviously not the case based on this thread. Their resolution was to have me either reformat the drive or go to one of their new HD DVR systems and force me to lose Tivo.

What I will probably do is go buy a HD standalone Tivo, get Time Warner cable, and tell DirectTV to show it up their a-holes.

11. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    I know that there are quite a few old timers around reading off a level one support script but everything is NOT a hd failure problem.

In my direct personal experience the reboots are definitely related to the 6.3a/b upgrade. I went through two brand new hard drives following the sage advice about failing HD and the problem persisted until i went back to 3.1.5f.

my two bit

12. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Sorry, I'd respond to this but nothing in my 'script' seems to qualify.

:rolleyes:

13. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I have an original HR10-250 (bought the first month they were available) still on 3.1 working flawlessly.

I have a newer (one-year-old) unit that is on 6.3a and it has the audio dropouts on OTA issue. This past week, it started rebooting many times each day. Sometimes it does it successfully all by itself. Sometimes we get a dark screen and have to power down/power up to get it to reboot. This machine also performed flawlessy before 6.3a.

It appears to me that the more recent reboots might be related to the recent guide data corruption issues reported on other threads, but that is pure speculation.

I do know that my wife, a six-year seasoned DirecTiVo devotee, is ready to toss hers (the 6.3a unit) and take anything we can get that works reliably.

14. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    After two hours on the phone with D* today, I am "upgrading" the HR10 that has 6.3b to an HR20 at the best deal I could get. I'm keeping the unit that has 6.3a (which is owned), since D* won't give up two HR20s at a time. I will lose two HD DNS channels on that Tivo, but oh well. Those were heading out the door sometime.

The 6.3a unit has not been locking up as much, but of course, still has audio drops. It's going to be interesting having one of each unit in the house, comparing how neither really works properly. Fun times.

Thanks D*. Oh, and it just occurred to me that D* no longer uses the slogan/song "somebody up there loves me, DirecTV." Wonder why that is? Not.

15. sk33t3r

sk33t3r New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    Im sticking with my 3.1.5f software, I have blocked updates via zipper, once I see everything is worked out, then and only then I MAY upgrade.

16. 3dishes

3dishes New Member

Mar 27, 2005

Same problem here with the reboots, for me I didn't have any problems until just recently and now I can get a few in a couple of hours. Not sure if I got the upgrade to 6.3b yet, I'll have to check.

So Jediphish, how come you are losing HD DNS? Did they never turn off when they should have?

17. cheddarspaz2

cheddarspaz2 Holy-Whaa

Oct 24, 2006
    Mid-west
    No Help From Direc Here Either! The constant restarts and freezing finally got to me. I called and even though they say "You're a Preferred customer" they don't seem very enthusiastic to solve this problem. With all of us calling about it, I'm sure ALL of them know about the problem; they're probably told not to give anything away by the tight-wad supers.

They sent out a new HR10 and I got them to eat the shipping (was like pulling teeth) but they wanted mine back too. Once I got it, (with 6.3a on it already) I tried to keep it by saying that I'd go with a 2-year contract if I could keep mine..... NO WAY, would they do it. So, I sent the same one back.

I rolled back to 3.1.5e, and no more problems. It hasn't frozen or restarted since.

So much for being on the customer "A" list. After that ordeal, I'm ready to dump Direc...

18. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I assume that when I get an HR20, which means that I'll be able to receive four local broadcast nets in HD via the 5LNB dish that is on my roof, that DirecTV will shut off the HD DNS feeds of NBC and FOX that I've received for several years. That's the policy as I understand it. Thus, on my Tivo machine, I will only be able to get my locals via the antenna that I have in my attic. Not too big of a deal, but sometimes my local NBC forgets to "flip the switch" so I usually record NBC shows from the NY feed.

19. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unfortunately, DirecTV's response is to replace it with an HR20. I tried that route but it was an unacceptable solution for me. The HR20 is going back. I'm through contacting DirecTV with issues with my HR10-250.

20. Monkeybiz

Monkeybiz New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Crossing my fingers, no reboot in a couple of hours after several during football yesterday. Maybe it is something clearing out and get's better by itself. I may jinx myself saying that - I'm afraid to do anything like season passes. I deleted a few of them that froze it up last night so maybe that had something to do with it. So only one reboot this morning and so far so good.

Edit, spoke too soon. I'm no expert but makes sense to go into the settings and clear stuff out. I wouldn't bother but these reboots come at the most inoportune times. Maybe I'll learn something, still haven't found folder on this HR10 upgrade. Clearing the silly thumbs thing now, never use it.