Arrested Development actors on tonight's episode of... *casting spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brimtoast, Mar 29, 2006.

1. brimtoast

brimtoast New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Veronica Mars! Michael Cera (George Michael) and Alia Shawkat (Maeby) will both be on VM tonight. The show’s creator, Rob Thomas, is a huge fan of Arrested Development, so he'll probably use them well. For a taste of Michael's character, see the episode's opening scene at UPN.com, and for a glimpse of Alia see the episode preview. Hopefully this will be a bright spot for everyone in mourning over the recent news from Mitch Hurwitz. If you are nervous about diving into the show without context and want to find out what's been happening in the season so far, you can read this summary.
    And for people who can't see the opening scene or preview, here is a picture of Alia in the episode, with no hair.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Interestingly, Alia was quite good, and Michael...not so much. He seemed like the same character in a different context.

3. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought they were both very good in their roles on Veronica Mars last night.

True, Michael Cera was playing a version of George Michael: the college years, but his dry wit really fit the tone of VM, I thought. I wouldn't mind seeing nerdy "Dean" around the Hearst campus next year. (Please, CW gods, let there be a next year for VM.)

Dean was basically a slightly older version of GM, but with a touch more self-confidence. But that would likely come from being slightly older. So yeah, he was mostly George Michael: the college years.

Veronica: I shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.
    Dean: I shot a man in Reno, too, but it wasn't to watch him die. It was for . . . other issues.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The problem I had was that GM was such a distinctive character, that MC's apparent inability to play anything else really yanked me out of the show. I kept seeing George Michael, not Dean. But Alia Shawkat was so different, I had no such problem--in fact, I didn't recognize her for a while, even though I knew she was iun it from the credits.

5. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    She looked a lot older than she did on AD.

I think it was the hair, and then the lack of hair.

-smak-

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I enjoyed Alia Shawkat in a short skirt. [Is she legal? Hell, who cares. I didn't break any laws!]

Michael Cera's stoic lack of emotion seems to be his selling point.