Army Wives 8/26/2007 (S01E13) "Goodbye Stranger"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Aug 27, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    <grumble> <grumble> I can't believe they made such a nerve-wracking cliffhanger for the season-finale. Not just a "who might've died," but a "did it even explode." And if it does explode, they did say, I believe, the theft was claymore mines, right? So the explosion will be pretty directional. Or were there other things stolen (I wasn't quite paying attention to details then)?

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    OK, I haven't watched it yet and even with the previews spoiling it, you might want to spoilerize some of that. YMMV.

Having said that I'm not the least bit surprised. While I watch this for what it is, I have to work hard to ignore some of the silly things about this show.

1. Sorry, officers and enlisted folks really don't socialize much.
    2. You don't get promoted to general in a week. Ever. Even normal promotions take months from when they are announced to when they take effect and general officers have to be approved by congress.
    3. They don't mix people from different branches in the same units and if your unit is deployed, you're all deployed, not parts of the unit.
    4. Base commanders are rarely, if ever, general officers. Most generals have line commands not posts. Even on a big base with lots of generals, the base commanders is usually a Col and he runs the base, not the people on the base.

3. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    What?

This episode is the season finale. There are no previews spoiling anything.

4. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I meant from last week. They show a bomb.......

5. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They show a bomb this week -- being worn by a guy walking into the bar. I still don't get your point. It's not considered a spoiler to talk about prior episodes in a thread where it's inherently expected to have spoilers discussing the current episode.

6. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Why does it seem like the folks back home are in more danger than the deployed troops on this show?!? And it's the Army personnel who are creating the danger (first the guy with PTSD, and now the jealous husband).

7. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Being an Army Vet myself, I realize the things that are off about the show. But, it's still a good story, which is what it is, a story! It's fiction, not non-fiction. Which is something I kept telling myself while I was watching Jericho this last year.... the inconsistencies about Kansas were driving me nuts.... but I finally put it behind me, I haven't let it get to me with this show from the start.

8. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    It hasn't stopped me from watching, after all, it has Catherine Bell. ;)

Doug, I'm not complaining since I agree with the rules, I just think since it isn't resolved, it's mildly spoilerish. Also, while I know the rules say you can discuss the plot of the current, I personally don't talk about unresolved stuff if I can avoid it since it does at least foreshadow future episode.

9. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You're actually suggesting spoilering speculation?!? You can't "spoil" a story by discussing it or guessing or speculating about the direction. You have absolutely no knowledge of what will happen; you can't, by definition, spoil the story for anyone that way.

10. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Gotta say, I don't understand the concern about spoilerizing any part of the discussion of an episode when the series name, date, episode number, and episode title being discussed are all clearly identified in the thread title.

Future episodes, even previews I can see an issue about, but not the episode identified in the thread subject.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Who cares about inaccuracies? It's a soap! With some mighty attractive (and assertive) women. And lots of hot marital relations. In a time when every soap seems to be obsessed with extramarital and forbidden affairs, this is positively refreshing.

12. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    For the love of mike, let it go. I made a tiny suggestion about it. It isn't worth this discussion.

I like the show but I think the ending sucked. I hate stupid cliffhanger endings. If I decide I'm not gonna watch next year, is this gonna make me watch? If I like it, would I be less likely because of this? I see cliffhangers in the modern TV idiom to be completely pointless.

13. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Ok, so far there's been at least two extramarital affairs and one is the cause of the cliffhanger so there's something for everyone. ;)

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Who's Mike? :)

I think what they're trying for is to get people who did watch it to talk about it and perhaps pull in new viewers. You're right, otherwise, if someone likes the show, a cliffhanger isn't really going to make any difference to them... though maybe someone on the fence will feel obligated to tune in to see how it's resolved, even if they might otherwise have just forgotten about the series.

15. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    That might be one reason, I think the real reason is that they think they are "obligated" to leave us wanting more.

16. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I hope it's a longer season next year.

17. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    +1!!!!

18. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    What are you considering "part of a unit"? A squad, platoon, company, battalion?

When I was in the Army, we'd have just a platoon deployed without the whole company or battalion deployed. Heck, I think there were times when just a squad might get deployed.

And our base commander (Ft Campbell, KY) was at least a Brigadier General.

19. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    By the way, who did the remake of "Goodbye Stranger" for the final scene? I really liked it.

20. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Google my friend.....

Goodbye Stranger" by Lily Haydn