Aretha (Genius - NatGeo) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Mar 25, 2021.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The third season of Genius on NatGeo is on Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul. Her story is amazing, and this series is doing it well. S1 was Einstein, S2 was Picasso. I started both, and couldn't make it past E1 of either. This, on the other hand, has me hooked. It's the combo of a really interesting life story, combined with superb acting, and sharp writing. Cynthia Erivo plays Aretha, and just like everything else she's done, it's award winning material. There's a reason she's only an Oscar away from an EGOT. The rest of the cast, especially Courtney B. Vance as her dad, is also superb.

I've always been a big fan of Aretha, but knew almost nothing of her life story. She started singing as a kid, went on the Gospel Circuit with her dad (a famous pastor) when she was 12. Got pregnant when she was 12! Twelve! Pregnant again at 14.

Signed her first contract at only 18, with Columbia. Didn't do well, and moved to Atlantic under the tutelage of the great Jerry Wexler, and immediately started pumping out hits. And on and on... Eventually becoming the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

This is an eight part mini-series, started on Sunday March 21, and ended last night (March 24). I have no idea if it's still available via repeats or streaming or whatnot. I'm on E3.

They're using a common style where they show some scenes from her childhood (kudos to Shaian Jordan, who plays young 'Re), interspersed with scenes from adult Aretha. It works well, showing us how one informed the other.

If you are a fan of the genre, I highly recommend this.