Are your locals cropped on Directv now?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by innocentfreak, Oct 8, 2008.

Are your locals formatted to fit your SD set?

1. Yes and I prefer them that way.

7.7%
  2. Yes but I prefer the original in widescreen.

67.9%
  3. No but I wish they would.

9.0%
  4. No and I hope they never do.

15.4%
  1. Oct 8, 2008 #1 of 45
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

I have been reading up on the fact that as we get closer to the digital transition that many of the local channels in SD will be cropped. For those that don't know they are using the 14x9 signal and cutting off the sides so it fits the 4:3 size of a standard TV.

For example CSI:Miami and Criminal Minds are no longer in widescreen here which they were last year. Instead the image appears zoomed in. This results in local ads running off the screen and even sometimes people in the show being cut in half on the edge of the screen.

2. Oct 9, 2008 #2 of 45
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I guess this is more of a Tampa issue or people in general don't even notice or at least on this board no one cares. Locally it seems only CW is still airing widescreen versions on SD.

Surviver, CSI:Miami and Criminal Minds are all now cropped.

3. Oct 9, 2008 #3 of 45
    CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I've never noticed a difference between my locals via analog, and my locals via sat SD, but it has been a good while since I had functional OTA.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #4 of 45
    shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio shaun

Jun 20, 2003
    zanesville,...
    my sd locals are so bad you would swear they are analog.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #5 of 45
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

If needed, I'd rather see the 16:9 picture be letter boxed for 4:3 display.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #6 of 45
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I have never had a functional OTA. I am actually talking about the SD channels on Directv went from broadcasting the widescreen versions of shows such as Survivor, CSI, CSI:Miami, and Criminal minds to airing them now cropped to a 4:3 image. This may just be local though since I don't have the E/W feed of CBS to verify. CW still airs Supernatural and Smallville in widescreen so it definitely looks like it is up to the local station and whether they still offer a SD digital feed or whether they are using a centercut of the HD feed.

7. bootsboy9

bootsboy9 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    PA.
    I live in Phila.Pa.,and DTV has been doing it here for about 3 weeks.Having a 16:9 HDTV but using a SD Tivo I prefer letterbox which I use the Zoom 1 feature to fill the entire screen.If I'm watching a local in real time I'll switch the TV to the OTA tuner for the HD. BTW going too wait for the DTV with HD-Tivo, till then keep letterboxing.

8. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I'm sorry if I was unclear. I got what you meant. I just meant that my DirecTV-delivered SD local channels look the same as they always did...not like they are a cropped or zoomed HD, but just like...normal SD I guess, if there is such a thing anymore.

9. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    Noticed the same thing last night in CT on NBC (The Office and ER)

Used to be letterboxed 4:3 (on my 4:3 set). Now the sides are cropped. Looks like pan&scan without the panning.

10. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I would say that the local stations themselve, and not Directv, are doing it. If you notice on the hi-def widescxreen image, the station logo is now a few inches over from the right, just at the right place to be visible on the screen when the station crops it for the SD telecast.

So, while I know what you mean, I don't think that is Directv who is doing it.

11. jca

jca Designer

Jun 5, 2001
    Huntsville AL
    Our local NBC affiliate showed Saturday Night Live "cropped" for the first time last night. (I believe it has been letterboxed previously.)

Is this the local station or the NBC network's doing?

I'm not opposed to stations/networks moving forward with digital TV, widescreen, etc., but I find it annoying that my local affiliate signal looks/sounds like crap, isn't available in HD, and now will be cropping SD programming.

12. dlmcmurr

dlmcmurr New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    East Tennessee
    I'm getting locals out of Knoxville and have noticed it for a few weeks now. I especially noticed it on "TURDAY NIGHT LI", or at least that is what it was called on my TV. Dang, I really don't want to replace my TVs.

Dave

13. tjperez

tjperez New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The downstream equipment should recognize the picture types and auto-adjust......I would guess.

14. rwe

rwe DSR 6000 (2.5)

Oct 22, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    You do know there is a setting somewhere that asks if you wnt 16x9 or 4x3

15. Bill R

Bill R New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Ohio Valley...
    I talked to an engineer at one of the local stations and he said all three vendors (DirecTV, DISH Network and the local cable company) are taking "center cuts" of their digital feed for their SD locals. He said that they are getting complaints about their "prime time programming" (network programs when they are doing HD programming) that the sides are cut off. It looks that the vendor are not doing it correct.

I have a digital converter box on one of my TVs. The box is "smart" enough to get it right (you do not have to change formats when the picture size changes). You would think that if that technology can be built into $50 boxes that DirecTV (and other vendors) could get it right.

16. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yes and it doesn't do anything with regards to these shows since the program is cut before it is transmitted. The receiver isn't cropping the program but Directv is before they send the signal.

17. tjperez

tjperez New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Without any conversion, a 16x9 picture should translate on a 4x3 set as an amorphic-distorted picture; that means the horizontal width is squeezed so people look skinnier than they really are.

18. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    I also get Phila, PA locals, and have noticed this problem as well - specifically with NBC. The Office, 30 Rock & SNL were all in widescreen last year, and now they are all cropped. It's especially obvious when someone that is talking isn't even seen on the screen any longer.

Should I call DTV about this problem, or my local affiliate to complain? I'd like an answer that isn't based in speculation.

edit: I did a quick search on DTVs forums, and found this. It appears to be DTV doing this, but I don't see confirmation from a DTV employee. Just speculation from customers. And brennok on 10/10 seems to make an argument that it isn't DTV doing this.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10446794

19. walkerjs

walkerjs New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Philly locals here too, and at least SNL is cropped on my standard TV, probably on my widescreen (non-HD, at least the receiver is only SD; the TV itself is HD capable). Kind of annoying though not debilitating even if I'm in no position to get an HD TV in my office and all the HD kit required (I'll give up my R10 when they pry it from my cold...etc.)

20. vman

vman Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    I noticed this on SNL this weekend for the first time as well (I'd be surprised if it has happened in the past, since it was incredibly obvious this weekend and I've never noticed it before). Washington DC locals.